Note to New Members ×

The Core Four

utahcarver

Anyone got a copy of Snowboard Life magazine that has an article by Kevin Delaney entitled, "The Core Four"? If you do, I'd like a copy of the article. And, I'd recommend it for anyone who's teaching a grom to snowboard. I used this information to teach my now-16 year old son. I made him memorize it. I also made him do on-snow drills demonstrating each component. The first chairlilft ride of each day we go over the four components.

The Core Four are:

Foundation

Suspension

Alignment

Level Shoulders

I can send a SASE to you and some change for the costs of the copying, mailing, and all around expediting. Contact me here. I can't find mine because I keep lending it out to other riders.

Thanks,

Mark

That reminds me.....I've been looking for an issue of snowboarding magazine from, oh, probably about 1989-90 or so that has a ton of riders from Bend in it. Has Tom Ruth on the cover, and a bunch of other bend riders at the time. A dude named Sean Dillard is in the centerfold, a very good friend of mine, as well as Chris Klug. If anyone has an extensive collection of old snowboarding mags, drop me a line.

Miguel,

I'd guess that the copyright, if it's still in effect (due to Snowboard Life being defunct), would make posting the article here prohibitive. I'm doubtful at this time that anything from SNL would be applicable to a copyright. Or, at least, that anyone other than Kevin Delaney or Kurt Hoy might need to be petitioned for permssion to post the article here.

Perhaps there is someone out there in Bomberland who knows the legal aspect of posting the article in it's entirety here at BOL.

Mark

Kent,

Oh, I'm sure there are better ways to teach snowboarding than the 'core four'. Your method is probably one of them. At the time that PD had given me the article I was unsure of the best way to teach my kid(s) to snowboard. I didn't want to spend the money on lessons. I was self taught and figured that I could pass my knowledge on to them (my sons). The article simply conveyed a way to do that. Very little information is given in TWS or other rags about basic riding skills. Hell, after all the ads, there's little room for anything else:)

I did find Lowell Hart's book on snowboarding the other day. Wish I would have had that to work with, too.

Mark