Note to New Members ×

Need good race board & bindings

CrumbleCarve

I'm sure folks on this site will be able to help you out, both with advice and with equipment. What type of racing are you doing? And what is your price range for a new board? That should help people zero in on what you're looking for.

BTW, I'm 5'4" and 140lbs and ride a 162 Generics slalom as a freecarve board. I'd offer it to you but I think you can find something better.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I really need it. I race slalom and giant slalom. I have a generics chrono 156 but I don't know anything about it, and don't even know if its a racing board. If anyone out there wants to sell a good board that could meet my weight and height standards for racing slalom or gs please let me know!

Your current boards may be fine for starting out, especially in slalom. They are older technology, so as you get better you will likely want to upgrade--but that gets expensive. If you don't have much to spend I'd concentrate on getting a slightly longer board for GS. Look for a sidecut over 9 meters. That will make bigger, GS-style turns easier.

For a good reference, go to the Donek snowboards website and look at their Pilot series, which are entry-level race boards. (There is actually a Pilot for sale on Ebay for $199, but it's a 152, which would be another slalom-sized board for you.)

Again, many people on this website probably have older, entry level-type race boards stuffed in their garages. Be patient. You'll find one.

PS- If you've already found comfortable boots, that's half the battle!

Thank you so much! What length would you suggest for a GS board and a slalom board for me? I'm 5'2" and almost 140 pounds. I'm not extremely confident in how good my two boards are to race with. I'm also not sure about the proflex bindings I have, they seem like more of a freecarve binding than a race binding. What do you mean when you say entry level board?

Someone else should probably step in here as I'm definitely not a racer. For GS, I'd say somewhere in the 160's for a person your size???

As for entry-level, I mainly mean less expensive and to some extent, more forgiving in terms of flex. But just being old and cheap doesn't make a board entry level-- many old race boards are stiff as planks and would be bad choices. The best new stuff is higher performance AND easier to ride--a pretty cool combo. The Donek Pilots are somewhere in between, being priced well and tailored for new or lighter racers, but without having the highest available racing technology. Other affordable race boards include F2's and Volkl Renntigers, if price is an issue.

Top-of-the-line "metal" alpine boards incorporate metal (titanal) layers into their construction to enhance grip and smooth out rough terrain. Most new alpine boards also have variable radii in their sidecuts. For "new school" race boards, the norm is to have a tighter sidecut near the nose transitioning to a longer one at the tail. (Though it can also get more mathematically complicated than that.) I'd say those two elements are must-haves for serious alpine racers these days. They'll also cost around $1,000 or more new. If you want to see some top companies making race boards, look up Kessler, SG, & Oxess and you'll see what I'm talking about. Donek and Coiler also have race lines.

Very good input, Mark!

I'd just chime in with this: a 160 alpine board would be next to impossible to find in GS sidecut, unless ordered custom. Most of 160 boards are medium to big guy's SL boards, stiff by deffinition.

The shortest stock GS board is Oxygen Proton 164 with 13m scr. It is followed by various 167/168 Renntiger/F2/Prior/etc.

Cruicial ellement for lighter rider is flex. Bigger GS board would not be a problem if the flex is soft enough.

I have a spare, lightly ridden Oxygen 160 Limited Edition - Kevlar/Metal but probably 10 years old. I have two - identical except for the LE number - and use its twin for kicking around on steeps and narrow trails, since at my weight it's too soft too race, but it might work well for what you need - damp, easy to crank tight turns but very stable for its length, waist around 19. If you're near Western MA you can try the one which has bindings once we have snow, or just take a chance on it - very sweet board and not expensive. Send email if you want pix.

Oh, hang on, he said LTD! Yeah, those are narrower and softer. I don't know exact specs.

Jonny can you post a pic so we can calrify?

Yes, this is the LE, not the Proton. I'll take a pic and figure out how to post it:smashfrea

Waist is 18.4cm. I haven't smashed this one, haven't even ridden it in fact. I picked them both up from a guy who'd had to give up hardboots due to knee issues. Bought the first, rode it half a day, fell in love and went back for the second as backup, but so far haven't needed it.

Here is what it looks like (the one on the left) - Nose 23.2/Waist 18.4/Tail 23.4 - the sort of X pattern is metallic (I assume an Aluminum alloy) the body is a Carbon/Kevlar weave. The one on the right in the lefthand pic is my kick-around-on-the-Steeps board and it sets up fine with my 27 shells at 60/55 or so. Nose looks sort of bulbous in these pics, actually it's a very symmetrical board

post-149-141842348533_thumb.jpg

post-149-141842348534_thumb.jpg

SCR is 10m. It's definitely not a new school race board, and it's a bit of a tweener in terms of size/specs. But for a relatively new racer standing 5'2" and 140lbs, might it serve some function? I don't know.

Remember that she's racing both slalom and GS on boards in the 150's right now (I'm guessing with around 8m scr's). This would be a big leap in both feel and performance.

SCR is around 10m, I think. (The 170 is 12m.) It's definitely not a new school race board, and it's a bit of a tweener. But for a relatively new racer standing 5'2" and 140lbs, might it serve some function? I don't know.

Remember that she's racing both slalom and GS on boards in the 150's right now (I'm guessing with around 8m scr's). This would be a big leap in both feel and performance.

SCR is around 10m, I think. (The 170 is 12m.) It's definitely not a new school race board, and it's a bit of a tweener. But for a relatively new racer standing 5'2" and 140lbs, might it serve some function? I don't know.

Yes, I'd guess at 10m scr or so. I know that at my 215lb weight it'll carve inside anything else on the hill on moderate snow, but isn't really raceable on anything tougher than Nastar (fine for that, though if you ride it smoothly). If you push-pull under the lift you'll see some incomprehensibly tight tracks. I'd imagine that at lighter rider weight it would have wider range. Even for me it's fun to cruise on at decent speeds, you just can't get too much angulation or you're turning right NOW. No board will work perfectly for both SL and GS without giving up something.

Not sure who here has seen me on this board to corroborate -Bobby Buggs has I know - not sure who else.