Note to New Members ×

6-packs versus 10-packs

Slow Eddie

Sorry if this has already been covered - I did a forum search and didn't come up with anything...

What, if any, are the disadvantages of 10-packs of 4x4 binding inserts? By this I mean two columns of 5 inserts that are spaced 4 cm apart from each other along the transverse axis of the deck, but only 2cm apart along the longitudinal axis of the deck. I have heard of this referred to as the "4x2" or "2x4" insert pattern, but not with any regularity

And, if there are no disadvantages, why is isn't this standard practice throughout the industry? It seems to me that in addition to more stance options in the middle of the range, those riders whose bindings expose more than 4 holes would be able to use more mounting hardware, theoretically reducing the load on any one mounting bolt.

The 2X4 hole pattern tends to swiss cheese the core reducing the strength of the board in that area. The concept of people using more screws is a good one, but in practice it doesn't often happen. The Bomber bindings have the 2X4 hole pattern built into them, so nothing is gained by building it into the board as well. Cateks holes are space a little bit different, but you can still attain basically the same adjustability (within 1/4in), so you're not gaining anything there either. Soft bindings typically incorporate a slot or multiple holes as well. So everything is covered.

A lot of freestylers tend to missuse the slot or additional holes for moving their foot towards the toe or heel side of the board and eliminate a lot of stance options. The adjustments in the heel cup is intended for this purpose.

Originally posted by Donek

A lot of freestylers tend to missuse the slot or additional holes for moving their foot towards the toe or heel side of the board and eliminate a lot of stance options. The adjustments in the heel cup is intended for this purpose.

.. if you bindings *can* be adjusted at the heel cup. Not sure if they've changed this but Salomon bindings -even their high end- from 01/02 and before do not offer such an adjustment, and turning your disks 90 degrees is the only way to center your foot across the deck.

Anyone want to sell me some Catek Freerides cheap so I don;t haveto "misuse" my softie disks? :)