Note to New Members ×

Edge tuning...

Guest aydx0001

Guest aydx0001

Any suggestions on tuning of edges on my 184 Coiler Freecarve? I was thinking of doing an 89° or a -1° depending on which way you count up front for good turn initiation and a 90° from about front foot back. Any thoughts? I'm riding in Minnesota so man-made snow will be the butter I'll be cutting...and the carving I enjoy most is the waaaay leaned over Euro-style carves...thanks in advance!!!

Danno

This is also a personal preference, but I currently like 0.5° of the base and 88° for the sides (so -2°).

The 0.5° is enough to eliminate unwanted board bite and 88° delivers some good edge grip.

Again, it’s all comes down to personal preferences.

Ray

Guest aydx0001

Which Coiler do you have? The edge tune Bruce slaps on his boards may vary with model...I never knew what tune my FreeCarve 184 came with...so that's why I ask now. The theory behind the 1° bevel + an 88° edge for a net 89° edge angle makes sense...less hook in transition or flats, but still plenty of cutting angle once leaned over...

I actually have 2 boards coming. One is a allmountain and the other is a custom board similar in dimensions to a swoard.

From my correspondence with Bruce (great guy, by the way) he indicated that they come with a stone ground base and edges are done to 89*. He mentioned that adding a base bevel makes them easier to ride.

I think I will probably ride them as is initially, but especially with the AM which will be off-piste as well a 1* base bevel is probably a good idea.

Thoughts anyone?

.5* base 1*side does it most of the time

narrow boards I prefer a little more on the base really long board I like a little more base bevel too somtimes more on the side as well it comes down to the board really

some boards are fine at 90 for example thats what I put on my prime 78

freeride deck I just keep em sharp