Note to New Members ×

Virgin Mobile

jp1

I'm looking for any feedback on Virgin Mobile as a phone service provider. My 7 year old 'rotary' cell has seen its last day :(. I've had good luck with Verizon, but VM prices are real tempting.

I may even try a Smartphone, can dummies use smartphones?

I don't know much about VM but Verizon's service areas are a big reason I stay with them. We travel a lot and I need a phone that works in rural NM and west Texas. If you hang out in NJ most of the time, that may not be something you're considering

Probably been with them 7-8 years. Later bought my son one; just got my wife a Samsung Intercept Android. I, too, own that phone.

AT&T now owns Virgin (not a big selling point with me); I think the service still uses the Sprint network. It's 3G - fine for phoning and most smartphone functions; a bit slow for web surfing but seems to work dependably. Phone locks onto wireless hotspots (including our home's) very well and is much faster in that mode for web.

Cost, I think, can't be beat. The Intercept, which cost me $249 5-6 months ago, is now $199, as is their newer Android - an LG, I think, without the Intercept's mechanical keyboard. I'd look very carefully at the newer phone UNLESS you have big fingers. Faster processor, newest version of Froyo OS (newer Intercepts also have Fro 2 point something) and highly reviewed by users.

300 minutes anytime phone (which I never come close to using) plus unlimited Web and other goodies is $25.00 per month. I usually buy a Top-Up card @ Target on sale for $23.95, and takes just a minute or two to dependably add that to your account.

If you're at all computer conversant, setting up a recent Android phone is very easy in my experience, as is downloading any of the thousands of applications, many of which are free. (Try ToDoList+ by GingerPenguin. Great stuff!!)

I can't imagine being locked into a contract and paying $50 and up for monthly service.

Plus one for Virgin Mobile from urban Possum Pouch.

cheers

BB: biggthump

Addendum - on the issue of mechanical keyboard vs. exclusively on-screen input - the Swype program, which I haven't used yet, is supposed to be a terrific on-screen keyboard app. Gonna try it soon. There are also small styli available, mostly designed for i-phones/pads and Apple tablets, that are supposed to work on non-Apple phones that use the same type of screen (capacitive something or other.) Haven't been able to figure out if my Intercept has such a screen, but am going risk the $8 and give it a try. I really miss my old Palm styli for precise input, sketching, etc.