Note to New Members ×

Donek Metal FC 171

Gcarve

I recieved my new FC board from Sean Martin at Donek a few weeks ago, and had a chance to ride it for 4 days recently. I know there are a couple of reviews on this board over the last year, but I figuered one more won't hurt anybody, so here's mine.

92af34c6.jpg747d5b8a.jpg398aea44.jpg

Conditions: Spring groomed hardpack in am, turning slushy after 11am

Board: Donek Metal FC 171, sidecut 11-13m, waist 20cm

Bindings: Bomber TD3's, with yellow E ring

Boots: UPZ RC10's with black tongue

Stance: 50 front / 45 back

Cant: 3 degrees toe lift, 3 degree heel lift

I'll start off by saying this is my first true carve board. I've been HB riding since the 90's, and riding since 1987. I'm a 54 year old guy, in fairly decent condition for my age.

From the very first run, my FC felt very stable and balanced. At slower speeds, the board was very easy to point into whichever direction I wanted to go. It actually felt like I was on a 160cm board - it was that easy to turn at slow speeds. Very playful, smooth and docile. The board felt familiar and comfortable under foot, no surprises or strange quirks.

At medium speeds the FC became very reactive to any input I gave it. Turn initiation was lightening quick, and edge control was very precise and intuitive. Transitions from one turn to the next were instantaneous, and once on edge, the arc of the turn could be tightened or lengthened easily. It was almost as if the board knew what I wanted to do, and did it without hesitation, everytime. This board exudes confidence. Very addicting stuff! By the end of my first day on my new FC, I knew that this board was taking me to a new level in my snowboarding. Amazing.

At higher speeds, this Donek began to show what it can really do. Go fast and carve! Blasting down the fall line, knife like turns were effortless.

Accelerating out of each turn into the next, this board loves to be on edge, and pushed to the limit. Aggressive riding is rewarded with incredible speed, carving, and control. The ride was quite forgiving of any surface change, ruts, bumps, ridges, piles of slush, etc, at any speed. The FC simply ripped right thru them with no drama or harshness transmitted to my legs. The benefits of metal and rubber construction no doubt!

I found myself laughing out loud several times, as I'd hit a bump, catch a little air in the middle of a turn, and simply land and carve away. It is the most fun I've had snowboarding in a long time!

So in summary, Sean Martin has made a master piece. An easy to ride board, that is smooth and easily controlled. It's a carving machine, that will put a smile on your face everytime you ride it.

Funny, I'm riding FC163 and I thought the board was longer than that...

Otherwise, cadillac-smooth, very beefy, very quiet. The acceleration sometimes scares me, it feels slow (what a deception!) but moment later I'm like "OMG am I going this fast!" Also very durable. Defintely a keeper.

I'm also riding Virus UFC 163. A fantastic all-terrain performer, very playful, light, floats in powder, a bit snappier, but in terms of pure carving prowess in groomed slope, FC163 is better, IMO.

• 1 month later...
From the very first run, my FC felt very stable and balanced. At slower speeds, the board was very easy to point into whichever direction I wanted to go. It actually felt like I was on a 160cm board - it was that easy to turn at slow speeds. Very playful, smooth and docile. The board felt familiar and comfortable under foot, no surprises or strange quirks.

I have a similar board. I agree with everything you say. My impression is that the decambered tip and tail are what's causing the board to feel shorter than it is. With decambering, you've got a lot less pressure on the tip/tail at low edge angles compared to a traditional board. So it feels shorter by comparison. I wasn't expecting that when I first rode mine, and it felt weird. But I have really come to appreciate it. The board is much easier to control when riding a crowded cat track for example.

• 3 weeks later...
I just bought a demo 175 metal FC from Sean a couple of weeks ago and can't wait to use it this winter. I tried it out during the SES 2011 at Buttermilk and even loved it in 6 inches of light powder.

Nice score on a great board!

Check out this link where Sean is demo-ing the board I bought from him. Its in the last minute of this YouTube video. He was using a boiler plate as well. Maybe I should invest in a boiler plate, it's got all the holes predrilled on the board. He is really cruising. If you can't link to the video, look it up in YOUTUBE under SES 2011 Day 7 Copper Bowl.

You are probably right, I should try out the FC first before buying a plate. I was wrong that it wasn't a boiler plate that Sean was using, but Donek's monoplate. I checked Donek's website (link below) and there is great Youtube video (first one on top) on Sean describing how the plate works. Check it out, makes perfect sense (less vibration and torque on the body).

http://www.donek.com/plate_alp.html

You are probably right, I should try out the FC first before buying a plate.

If you get TD3 bindings with the yellow E ring, I think you'll find (as I did) they add a level of dampening that creates a very smooth ride. Just my .02

I do have the yellow E rings and TD3s. I have only a 1 degree front toe cant and 3 degrees rear heel cant (does your greater toe cant help your heelside). I do have greater angles (60 degrees in the front and 55 degrees in the back which help with my heelside carves plus I am going from a Axxess to FC which is narrower). I am getting psyched thinking that riding is only 4 months away (when most Western Colorado Slopes open). Heck with the fly fishing, maybe I will go hike Saint Mary's Glacier.

My Axxess is a glass 177 that was my first alpine board I bought from Fin a couple of years ago and is a great All Mountain board. I have used in all conditions (a lot of powder in Colorado this past year). Like I said it is about 1.5 cm wider in the middle than the FC so the lesser angle you ride at will be compatible with the axxess. I am not sure about the metal axxess, but if it performs like the metal FC (which I demoed at the SES) it should rock!

it is about 1.5 cm wider in the middle than the FC so the lesser angle you ride at will be compatible with the axxess. I am not sure about the metal axxess, but if it performs like the metal FC (which I demoed at the SES) it should rock!

I'll probably ride at nearly the same angles I'm using on my FC, and adjust things if I feel it's needed. I think I've got most, if not all my bases covered with the boards I've acquired in the last 5 months (Donek Metal FC & AX, and Prior Pow Stick).

Being an older rider it should help with leg fatigue.

I'll be looking forward to hearing your feedback on that Donek plate. I too am considering it as a possible future upgrade, to keep my 54 year old legs on the slopes as long as possible each day :cool: