Note to New Members ×

Cataract surgery

C5 Golfer

Have had huge problem with floaters in my left eye for years. Condition is called Asteroid Hyalosis. In extreme cases, the vitreous can be drained and replaced with salt water (I think that's what the doctor said) but it's a last resort.

When skiing/riding in foggy conditions I have to close my left eye because the floaters are do bad.

I'm told I'm still a few years away from cataract surgery. Looking forward to getting back good vision!

Pat - I am curious as to why you say you are a few years away from Cataract surgery ... I do not think it is an age thing... so are you saying you do not have them yet but in a few years they may develop?

Re: good vision.. everyday am so amazed at my vision and what I have been missing. No wonder one of my golfing friends say now " that explains why you were dating ole whatzername-- I never thought she was very good looking and you kept saying she was."!:biggthump

Pat - I am curious as to why you say you are a few years away from Cataract surgery ... I do not think it is an age thing... so are you saying you do not have them yet but in a few years they may develop?

Like myself, they detected the cataract some time ago. They typically don't suggest the surgery until the vision can not be corrected by prescription glasses. :confused:

Re: good vision.. everyday am so amazed at my vision and what I have been missing. No wonder one of my golfing friends say now " that explains why you were dating ole whatzername-- I never thought she was very good looking and you kept saying she was."!:biggthump

Good to hear that I have that to look forward to. :biggthump However, I am not sure it can be blamed on poor taste:eek: ;)

The condition you just described is mineral deposits forming in the vitreous associated with diabetes, hyperlipidemia, and ciliary body tumors. It is NOT the simple vitreous floaters that most nearsighted people have.

Yikes! Three different eye doctors have told me that it's not worth the risk of going through the procedure. Only one of them actually called it A. H. so maybe what I have is just a bad case of floaters.

Have you ever tried explaining to someone what floaters are like? If they have never experienced them, it's hard to imagine. I have a more difficult time trying to explain what it's like to have RLS.

That's exactly right. I had asked about LASIK a couple of years ago and the doctor told me I was too old but I'd need cataract surgery at some point. The latest doctor said pretty much the same thing. For the record, I turn 65 in a few months.

• 3 weeks later...
Golfer, how goes it?

Just got a notice for my surgery, now scheduled for Aug.

Excellent.. all healed. Had my last checkup on Monday and Doc says everything looks good in there. I just continue with eye drops until bottle is gone which is probably about 5 or so more days.

Last Saturday I went to my Contact Doc and asked her to de-tune my left eye, ( I am right eye dominant) she gave me a +1.25 to try out. Now I can use my computer and read menus, keep score, fix flat on my bike if that happens, adjust my bindings next season, without reading glasses. I played golf yesterday and was still able to see my golf ball way the h#ll out there.

So last note -- When I go outside I'm just amazed at the crystal clarity of everything I see - it is a beautiful world out there.

Good luck with yours Bryan. Be sure to post up info.

BTW - I had my operation recorded - the camera is like right on top of the eye, I highly recommend it if your Doc offers that, but don’t watch it until both eyes are done... I watched it on my big plasma screen --It is the scariest movie I have ever seen.

• 1 month later...
Got a bit more complicated than typical, but surgery is on for the 3rd.

I will let you know how it goes. It looks like I will still require contacts after the surgery. Bummer, but it is the way it goes. Bryan

if they offer recording the surgery - do it. It is pretty nice to watch how they do it.

best wishes on it going well.

RE: contacts -- I wear them too, not that I have to but it de-tunes my great eye sight a bit so I can read a menu at night or working on my computer without reading glasses. I use +1.50 contacts for that and a +1.00 for golf.

if they offer recording the surgery - do it. It is pretty nice to watch how they do it.

best wishes on it going well.

RE: contacts -- I wear them too, not that I have to but it de-tunes my great eye sight a bit so I can read a menu at night or working on my computer without reading glasses. I use +1.50 contacts for that and a +1.00 for golf.

I wish that was why I am going to be wearing contacts.

I have seen video of the surgery, I will ask. Hopefully no more surgery on my eyes please.

Watching surgery from the inside (my victrectomy) was pretty trippy.

Lazer retna surgery was pretty empressive and incredibly painful too.

I wish that was why I am going to be wearing contacts.

I have seen video of the surgery, I will ask. Hopefully no more surgery on my eyes please.

Watching surgery from the inside (my victrectomy) was pretty trippy.

Lazer retna surgery was pretty empressive and incredibly painful too.

How did it go yesterday?

Hi Al

Good. Glad to say it appears I was in the 98% with no complications (yet)

Post opt today. Dr said the lense was not as hard as he would expect. It disintegrated pretty easy. incision healing well, placement perfect. He was happy= me happy!

The surgery. Three hours of prep, waiting, 20mins in the surgery suite. Wow. That was quite a light show!! Probably the most expensive one I have had so far:eek: He said he does nine per day in four hours.

Doing three drops x 4 times a day. Spaced out 10minutes each.

My vision? Not so great yet. Improving. Yesterday it was a mess, dilation, etc. Today much better. Definitely brighter, left vision more yellow.

Check up in a couple weeks. Month after that they will be able to fit new glasses/ contacts.

Thanks for asking. Bryan

Sorry, no video available.

Took a couple pair of glasses and popped the right lense out. Seemed like a good idea but really messes with my depth perseption. Best condition so far is wearing a contact in the left eye only.

The astigmatism will keep me from seeing clearly though. Pinhole glasses?? :)

I can see real well through the patch (it has holes in it) that I wear at night.

post-198-141842346513_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842346514_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842346516_thumb.gif

Hi Al

Good. Glad to say it appears I was in the 98% with no complications (yet)

Post opt today. Dr said the lense was not as hard as he would expect. It disintegrated pretty easy. incision healing well, placement perfect. He was happy= me happy!

The surgery. Three hours of prep, waiting, 20mins in the surgery suite. Wow. That was quite a light show!! Probably the most expensive one I have had so far:eek: He said he does nine per day in four hours.

Doing three drops x 4 times a day. Spaced out 10minutes each.

My vision? Not so great yet. Improving. Yesterday it was a mess, dilation, etc. Today much better. Definitely brighter, left vision more yellow.

Check up in a couple weeks. Month after that they will be able to fit new glasses/ contacts.

Thanks for asking. Bryan

Sorry, no video available.

Has your vision been improving? Hope so. Mine took about 1-2 weeks to settle into today's current vision.

Has your vision been improving? Hope so. Mine took about 1-2 weeks to settle into today's current vision.

Good to know Al. Safe to say it is better than the first post opt day.

Still not great. I would dare say it may be nearing where I was pre operation WITH corrective lenses. My guess is it may not get allot better due to the astig. I would love it if it continued to improve. Thanks for hope!

Dr. says "all looks good". Still some inflamation, but within normal post op. One less eye drop and no more eye patch at night. I can now wash my hair / face without quite so much hassle. Vision , according to the dr. is now almost 20/30 but it doesn't seem that good. Seems about the same as post op WITH correction which was more in the 20/40-20/60 range. The severe astigmatism is messing with it too. The brain is still getting the hang of the new lense. Definitely brighter now than the left. The left now looks "yellowish". Hopefully that helps with flat light snow days and night driving this coming season.

Bryan

Well - Crap olla.. all was so good for 3 fn months -- 3 days ago my retina decided to tear loose and was rushed into surgery yesterday to do a vitrectomy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitrectomy

Now my right eye cant see anything -- had withdraw from our golf club championship in which I was the defending 2010 champion. 1 week of doing nothing while it heals. and keeping my head low cuz they put in the air bubble to help the healing.

I hope this getting old crap stops soon.. too much surgery this year so far, between this and my my ankle -- I am almost afraid to plan anything. sit in a rocking chair and wait it out.

hope you are doing well Bryan!

Al

I just drove to the bank with one eye... I hope this gets better soon.

Hey Al. Sorry to hear about this development. Did they do an lazer tack welding to re-attach the retina? The good news is that you already have a new lense!! I got the catarac due to the victrectomy. You just did the reverse order of my sequence. Detached ret is pretty serious , follow the dr's orders. What did they say you should expect for an outcome?

Heal well. Bryan

Hey Al. Sorry to hear about this development. Did they do an lazer tack welding to re-attach the retina? The good news is that you already have a new lense!! I got the catarac due to the victrectomy. You just did the reverse order of my sequence. Detached ret is pretty serious , follow the dr's orders. What did they say you should expect for an outcome?

Heal well. Bryan

he thought within a month I might get my great vision back. I am taking it easy. keeping head down a bit looking to the left. yes on the tac welding the tears. my eye is still dialated quite a bit so tough to see anything in focus except up close to my face.seems it is getting better but it is a slow moving curve if one were to plot it.

Thursday he may release me to full activities...

How goes your recovery - how well are you seeing?

• 5 months later...
Hey Bryan -- did your eye finally heal ok?

I am all healed up overall. Fortunately I did not have any further issues.

The vision is better, although it is a little tricky. With glasses, I still prefer the glasses that I took the lense out on the right IF I have been wearing my contacts all day. The contact doesn't really fit very well so I try not to wear it all day. I lost the ability to see close up with the cataract eye, which I really miss. Although my vision is much improved for distance.

Thanks for asking , how about you?

I am all healed up overall. Fortunately I did not have any further issues.

The vision is better, although it is a little tricky. With glasses, I still prefer the glasses that I took the lense out on the right IF I have been wearing my contacts all day. The contact doesn't really fit very well so I try not to wear it all day. I lost the ability to see close up with the cataract eye, which I really miss. Although my vision is much improved for distance.

Thanks for asking , how about you?

Same as you with losing the close up vision after cataract surgery.. which is very typical. I was a -3.50 before surgery.

Good stuff is can wear contacts or just a 1.5 reading glasses and all is good.

My vision is so good now when I golf I help others watch the ball where it lands, and my handicap is the lowest it has ever been. seeing my golf ball has helped so much -- I had no idea I was that blind before I had the cataract surgery. I figured that is just how it was. I now see everything so bright and clear.

The wierd thing I have noticed... my polaroid sunglasses reduce my vision acutity a bunch. Maybe the lense implants have some slight polarizing themselves and then when polaroid glasses are worn it goes a shade fuzzy.

Regular Sunglasses - vision is perfect and can read road signs a 1/4 mile away, with polaroids on have a to wait quite while till they are closer.

Good tip about the sunglasses!! Glad to hear your outcome is so good!

My vision gets complicated due to the fact the left has not had surgery. The right eye has now had three surgeries. I can definitely see how much brighter the right is. The yellowing of the lense is impressive. More than anything else it is all the differences that add up to "Screwy Vision". It can be very distracting at times. Thanks again for the kind thoughts and advice.