Note to New Members ×

BTS on Head boots

John E

Havn't found one yet.

Yes, I've found!

I normally ride with Head Stratos with ACSS spring system and now also with a new pair of DeeLuxe AF700 with a new spring system for DeeLuxe that works very well http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8443&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

In freeride/backcountry (with Pogo Shaman Swallowtail 193 or longboards) I ride with an old pair of DeeLuxe LeMans (front with a spring system and rear completely in walk-mode, without any system) and with modified AT Garmont MegaLite.

You are lucky that you can make 4 very different boots work well for you...

Ideal boot, in my mind, would be one that I can use for majority of my riding.

Closest I've got to that, is Dalbello CRX (Head Stratos with DIN soles), with BTS and full scale mods, as in HSPs. I also added the raised power inverters on the lateral side of the boots. That last mod is to compensate for slightly too low cuffs.

Deeluxe hardly work for me at all. SB series is pure dissaster, AF slightly better.

UPZs felt very nice around the house, but I never had them on snow. I'm not prepared to deal with diabolic placement of heel block and too short sole length.

On the side note, how do you like the Garamonds? Stiff enough to carve a decent turn on hard pack?

You are lucky that you can make 4 very different boots work well for you...

Ideal boot, in my mind, would be one that I can use for majority of my riding.

Closest I've got to that, is Dalbello CRX (Head Stratos with DIN soles), with BTS and full scale mods, as in HSPs. I also added the raised power inverters on the lateral side of the boots. That last mod is to compensate for slightly too low cuffs.

Deeluxe hardly work for me at all. SB series is pure dissaster, AF slightly better.

UPZs felt very nice around the house, but I never had them on snow. I'm not prepared to deal with diabolic placement of heel block and too short sole length.

On the side note, how do you like the Garamonds? Stiff enough to carve a decent turn on hard pack?

I use Head Stratos (softened and with the ACSS spring system) for majority of my riding. In this season I've bought a pair of DeeLuxe AF 700 that I've modified with a spring system; they work well and the sole length is shorter than Head (I've bought 26.5 mp instead 27 mp as they are very comfortable).

UPZ: a lot of friends switched from Head to Upz (ATB or RC10 softened in forward flex/tongue and with a changed spring system) and they are very satisfied (shorter sole lenght, fit, feeling, lower cuffs as Head). I tried but they don't fit well my feet.

In freeride/backcountry I prefer AT boots like Garmont Megalite as:

- they are lighter than snowboard boots (better to go to uphill)

- vibram sole (better for walking and climbing)

- compatible Dynafit binding toe inserts as to go up we use snowshoes or preferably mini skis (about 110 cm) with skins.

To ride on hard pack they are stiff enough.

Other people in Italy use Scarpa F1 (lighter, my favourite but must be modified) or F3, or new Maestrale. They are AT boots but also Scarpa and Vibram are testing to improve them for snowboard with the TD and coach of italian snowboard national team

I'm really looking forward to the day the the AT boots are fully adjusted for snowboarding. They are closest to what I'd consider as good allrounders.

Anyone tried Dalbello Virus Tour boots?

Yes, I agree.

In the AT world there is more research and development (weight and materials) than in hard snowboarding. I think could be a short distance between modern AT boots and a good snowboard boot. Should be sufficient to shorten the sole lenght and to add a good spring system...I think Scarpa is working about; about the stifness, I think all is possible with the modern materials (phebax, etc, etc).

I tried Dalbello Virus Tour but on skis; it works very well and they are more comfortable. They are very close to other Dalbello boots...ultimately very close to the ancient Raichle Flexon used also in snowboarding.

• 6 months later...
For me, the head boots are too stiff to use with the bts. I've cutted the boots to have more flex and to allow the BTS to do its job.

You'll find a lot of info about that subject on the forum.

Hello, Stéphane,

I have been thinking about doing the mods to the boots. I was also interested to add the BTS but on the Bomber store, they say it does not fit.

Just curious to see how you did it. Do I have to be an engineer to do it?

You can email me directly at guay_francois@videotron.ca

Thanks Francois.