Note to New Members ×

Toeside "Hip-Drop" Problem

jimmy737

I focused this seasson on improving my toeside turn.

I always tend(ed) to lean too much with my upper body towards the snow and therefore putting my hip out to the downhill side!On good conditions besides looking like the urgent need to go to the toilette it worked.But on ice it ended up in a desaster;)

I still have problems putting my hip into the turn.I have tried facing the nose,raising my inner arm up,working more with the knees,looking in the direction of the turn but the thing which is missing quite often is feeling a pinch in the hip and so the hip drop.

Any ideas how I can work more on that hip drop?

I have attached some pics and would really appreciate to get some critic what I still can do to improve my toeside turn!The first pic shows my typical body position(upper body is leaning into the turn and hips are out!) The other two pics are much more better in my opinion..

</pre>

post-10425-141842342992_thumb.jpg

post-10425-141842342994_thumb.jpg

post-10425-141842342995_thumb.jpg

Touch your right hand to your boot cuff. But don't cheat, it has to be on the right side of your hip. You have to push your hips inside to do this.

You can do the same thing on heelsides, but touch your left hand to your right boot cuff. I frequently go back to these as a starting position whenever I'm having any issues.

Actually what you are describing missing is what you are missing. No pinch at the hip, and your shoulders aren't parallel to the snow. It still looks like you've just leaned over. Your upper body should look like it is leaning away from the snow this is what gives you that feeling of the pinch at the hip. Your upper torso is still in line with your hips.

Read the article Jack linked to.

Dave