Note to New Members ×

Boiler Plate review (East Coast #2)

Here are my observations of the Bomber Boiler plate, having now put 4 days on it in typical Stratton ice conditions.

I will start with the summary to save you the reading if you are not really interested in my long winded details.

Summary-

I was extremely skeptical if the plate systems would actually work for a recreational rider, and made the assumption it would detract from the enjoyment and feel of carving. Well the results say “The boiler plate performs as promised on the hardest of ice”. A recreational rider can use the plate in just about all conditions (Cannot comment of powder of any depth) and it did not detract from the feeling experienced during carving.

On the days I rode conditions were very hard, icy and scrapped off, normally I can ride in those conditions but I cut it back 2 or 3 notches and carving is relegated to a very upright position. With the plate I was able to ride and my normal pace and at the lean angles reserved for perfect cord.

For me personally I do not look at the Boiler plate as something to have so that I can ride all day and not get tired. For me it would be a tool that allows me to achieve maximum performance out of my equipment package regardless of the conditions on the hill. You still need to ride the board even with the plate, and on the rock hard ice your technique still needs to be spot on or the conditions are still going to suck.

To the boring details-

Day one

Plate on a coiler 173 VSR glass board

I weight 195lbs.

Clumpy snow with skied off really hard ice patches. (Had a series of rain, freeze, snow days)

Got on the board about 10:30am after riding hard for 3 hours.

Set the plate up so the front binding was just behind the pivot, and as close to my normal mounting point as possible.

Went and rode just like always not changing anything and not worrying about what I was on.

Did not experience anything weird it felt completely natural on the first turn.

Was able to comfortably skid the board around at slow speed and coming into the lift line. First run I hit the ice patches and could hear the board scrapping the ice but it held no problem. Also the transition from ice to clump and back was effortless, didn't even notice. Geoff on his metal stubby really noticed it and had to work to keep up. (Sorry Geoff) I rode the board till 3pm going hard the whole time. And was really not fatigued at the end of the day. It is rare for me to be out that late. (Not sure if it was the plate or the fun of riding with Geoff)

Day two-

Same board setup

1 to 2 inch sort of powdery pellet snow on top of frozen cord and the cord was made up of ice chunks mashed together with granular snow. Again had rained the day before then froze and snowed a little.

Basically every turn you would hear the awful scrapping sound but no slip. After about a 1/2 run it seemed to be good so I got up to speed and it held no problem I was able to carve hip on the ground though the sound was frightening, mentally I thought this should not be working.

The cord broke down pretty quickly and that same glare ice crept out underneath, still no problem. Rode till about 11am and quite because to many knuckleheads on the hill.

Day three- good conditions

It all just worked great, nothing out of the ordinary.

Day four-

Same board setup

Day before it got up to 46 degrees and bright sun, that night down to 16 degrees.

They groomed early around 6PM so it was cord setup like concrete.

I was able to carve into it. I had to drive hard and be in the correct body position for it to work. I got lazy once and just laid into it and ended up sliding 100 ft down hill on my side. I honestly don’t think I could have really carved it without the plate on my board, or I would have just written it off and either went home or made some small turns down the fall line. Steph was with me and she couldn’t even carve into it.

Alex, thanks for posting this as this is the first real "ice review" of the Boiler Plate, so it is great to read your observations.

The day I rode with Alex he started off on with no plate and switched to the plate after lunch. The conditions started to deteriorate and riding became a challenge for me. Alex had no idea what the conditions where under his board. I couldn't keep up with him and was struggling to hold end edge through every single turn. I had to push my legs hard to engage the board into the ice. I was not able to lay turns out where Alex looked like he was riding on hero groom. I was miserable and wishing I had the plate under me.