Note to New Members ×

Sun Peaks & Sunny Kamloops-March 19th-25th

crucible

Brenda , Maya and i decided to spend the first week of Spring Break on our first ever family skiing road trip, and we chose Sun Peaks.

We wanted a destination that was within an easy half day of driving from Vancouver, with good slopes for carving, NO CROWDS, and good slopeside amenities for families, and this mountain fit the bill in spades.

I took my Coiler AM 172 for all round carving, a Prior 167 ATV for if and when it dumps some of that famous Okanogan powder, and a Winterstick Cirque 162 for bumping down moguls and trees, and for me to attempt some Caspercarver moves...

I saw only one other carver first thing this morning, and then around 1130 I was able to hook up with Dan (Bora 20) and Mike from Abbotsford. Dan was on his Prior 174 4WD and Mke was on a new SG 185 with a plate. Mike is also here for the week with his family, so we'll put in some miles together, and Bora 20 will take Friday off to ride with us.

These boys can crank at high speed, in fact, I'm thinking that Sun Peaks is an alpine carver's paradise. The slope angles are a great pitch for alpine, there are a minimum of meat gates, and the corduroy grooming is extensive and well done. Did I mention that bluebird days are this place's default setting?

We should run a BC Expression Session here- it would rock.

I am up for a BC Expression Session, in fact, there was Alpine training here this winter already. Sun Peaks is never crowded, bluebird most days, and the snow is soft and fluffy.

It was great to meet you and drool on your Coiler for a bit. I can't wait to get mine.

I am sure Mike will get the video over to us later tonight once he gets back to his place. We stayed together until 1:00pm and his skier friend shot a bit of footage of him too.

I spent the bulk of the day running the same run, trying to gain a bit more consistency and work on my form. I ran it from 11:00 to 4:00, man are my legs tired.

Got lots of thumbs up and yells from the chair as I got lower down to the snow as the afternoon went on. I can't wait to see what a metal board will do...

Been riding my AM Coiler for 3 weeks now on a UPM plate 14.8mm off the board on extended UPM mounts. If you are interested ask Bruce about it, designed for plates a few $$ more with 52 inserts makes this board the most versatile plate board made with options for longer UPM mounting and 4x4 inserts 8cm beyond the usual stance, allowing for the greatest range of plate mounts available. Unbelievable ride that just gets better every time out. Spring slop or packed groomers rides like a Cadillac.