Note to New Members ×

Awesome Day of Firsts (^_^)

Flywalker

Met up with my very first local hard booter today after stumbling upon each other here on BOL. Masahiko and his 16 year old son were waiting for me at Kiroro resort... somewhere l had never been before, either.

At his suggestion, he lent me the narrowest board l had ever ridden before by a brand l had never ridden either: a new Donek FC II Olympic 171. At 19.5 cm it was a little weird hopping onto it. l had my binding angles set to the steepest they have ever gone... 55B/62F. This was also my first time riding a VSR board.

FUN! lt was snappy and really quick from edge to edge and remarkably comfy to be riding at such steep(for me) angles. The only thing that threw me off at the beginning was the whole VSR thing. l didn't even realize it was a VSR board until l read the label behind the rear binding. No wonder l was getting spat out at the end of turns like someone had just squirted a shot of nitrous up me! Anyway, stopping the whole rocking forward and back through the turn sorted that out.

Then... on went the Donek plate. Although the set up was HEAVY with TD3 SW's etc. once it was on the snow the extra weight just disappeared. l could make surprisingly tight turns for a board that is 11/13. Sure didn't expect that!

There were LOADS of other carvers on the mountain. l have never seen so many in one place before! Apparently this was a typical Sunday at this time of year. The group Masahiko rides with gets up to 20 at times.

l also learned that every Tuesday and Thursday evening his club(imagine that... a carving club) train gates at a resort very close to my home. The season at that place is coming to an end but my wife and l will definitely be getting involved next season.

l am already stoked for next year!

Flywalker, Sounds like you had a good day at Kiroro. My wife just bought plane tickets this afternoon for next week. Will be riding there from 3/30 to 4/1.

Sounds like there is a solid alpine crew based there. Dynaland, in Gifu, has a solid crew with regular gate training set-up by the snowboard school which is Run by SG riders. Usually 20+ riders on the hill any given weekend.

How is the snow in Hokkaido holding up?

Thanks!! Tom

Hi Tom!

l'll be here through those days so drop me a line and we'll get out there. l'm on Spring vacation until April 11th. We should be able to check out a couple of places.

Where have you based yourself?

l'm really amazed at the number of riders here. lt'll do wonders for my language skills too if l have some local friends that don't speak English. l'm actually meeting up with a few guys from that club this Saturday. Don't know where we're going yet... maybe Kamui.

There is still plenty of snow but it's melting fast. Nothing to worry about next week, though. Niseko still has 400+cm. Kiroro, Teine, Rusutsu still all have 250+cms. Snow in the forecast and cooler temperatures as well. Should be lots to do when you arrive.

Hey Flywalker,

Flying in tomorrow morning with wife and kids. Will be based out of Kiroro area and probably stay there for boarding. Will be riding with my wife on 3/31 (kids in ski lessons that day). Only bringing an SL deck with TD3s as my lower back is toasted right now - so probably will be taking it easy.

We fly back to Nagoya on 4/1 (late). Heading up to Hakuba47 in Nagano on 4/2 or 4/3 to watch the season end race and check out the snowboard demo tents. Bomber Japan (Wintertree) will have demos going.

My cell is 090-9100-0313 if you make it up to Kiroro or shoot me a PM through BOL.

Thanks! Tom

Hey Tom,

Wow... tight schedule! l'm going to Rusutsu tomorrow and back again on Thursday although l'll be skiing then. lf there are any legs left underneath me l will try to go to Kiroro on Friday if you're planning to ride that day. ln any case l will call you Thursday evening to check in.

l'm going back to Kiroro on Sunday for my first crack at proper gate training... first and last for the season. l had two passes last Saturday at Mt. Racey with those guys l had mentioned in my earlier post and would like to try again before the season wraps up. Then... l have to go to Tokyo on business Sunday night. Not keen at all. Will need to bring my own water for two days.

There were LOADS of other carvers on the mountain. l have never seen so many in one place before! Apparently this was a typical Sunday at this time of year. The group Masahiko rides with gets up to 20 at times.

l also learned that every Tuesday and Thursday evening his club(imagine that... a carving club) train gates at a resort very close to my home. The season at that place is coming to an end but my wife and l will definitely be getting involved next season.

l am already stoked for next year!

That kicks so much ass!!!!

190 hard booters showed up.

amazing. any idea as to why such a thriving scene has developed there? evidently we're off the back in n/a - though with the growing popularity of ski carving, i predict (optimistically) growth in the years ahead...