Note to New Members ×

TD3 sole block height?

Knowfish

Is there a height difference between a TD3 'Standard' and 'Step-in' block? I'm using a TD2 toe block with a TD3 SI receiver.

I just measured my TD3 standard toe and heel blocks and were just at 1/2 inch. I was using a cheap caliper, not the precision tool I keep at work, otherwise I would give you an answer accurate to .0001

I have no idea what Pat Donnelly is measuring.

gauge or thickness, as measured with a steel rule is about 12 mil

"I have no idea what Pat Donnelly is measuring." - previous measurement was for the heel receiver TD3 SI

in some areas of engineering discipline when 'mil' is used folks are actually meaning 1/1000 of an inch (0.001). For example, in printed circuit design it it is common to hear "5 mil lines and spaces" which means circuit traces are .005 inch wide nominal and spaces between traces are .005 inch nominal. Same kind of thing for film thicknesses. When millimeters are the unit used... mm is the designation.

Pat's earlier (since edited away) measurement of "3 mil" apparently was of the thickness of the steel sheet the receiver was stamped out of.

3mm x .03937 inch/mm = .118 inches..... which seems to make sense, but does not appear to be what Knowfish asked about. (EDIT: just went to my bookshelf and pulled out my Ryerson catalog. Pat's dimension seems to line up with 11 gauge Cold Rolled Steel sheet & coil )