Note to New Members ×

The Big Reccomendation

Guest atamme

I've been riding for plates for about 6 years and have two boards, a prior 4wd, 179 and a Prior WCR, 190(custom)[which i bought off the classfieds section here awhile ago], the WCR has pretty much bit the dust, I crushed a side wall and bent the edge on a unseen rock at Keystone last season. After months of wating at the repair shop the first ride on the repair pulled a porton of the topsheet off, so maybe it's time for a new board.

And I of course would like some guidance.

I am 6' 3" 230-240 lbs, ride mostly in the east coast now due to an unfortunate move from Boulder.

I focus on the blues and not bumpy blacks and would use the 4wd for the all mtn stuff. I like the WCR alot but would like something that I could use on a more frequent basis, the 190 length is great for those long haul speed runs (i'm smiling) but the EC just can't deliver that, so something abit shorter but with the stiffness and super speed attributes in a shorter package is pretty much what i'm looking for.

Budget $200-400, unless there is just no answer then maybe $500.

Lost and looking for an answer.

some of the coilers in the mid 180s

I have a coiler 190 myself and I have a 172 on the way

the other option would be get a really stiff SL deck at your weight you pretty much are limited to a few that would not feel like a noodle underfoot

keep a eye on the classifieds here sometimes people unload some really good boards on the cheap

atamme, I could be your twin! I'm also 6'3", and about 245, I used to ride a Supermodel 173 with plates as I rode out west, but I switched back to a race board now that I ride back east. I have no problems carving on my 167CM Rossi Race X VAS board. I picked it up in excellent condition on eBay last year, I wouldn't mind another as a back up if I am accross one I like it so much. I wouldn't considder my board a noodle by any means, as being a race board plus the given length gives it enough turn and snap to avoid the SPORES. So, I wouldn't worry about a board in the same size range being called a noodle, for me this one holds up to me just fine, I think you just need to make sure the board you buy in that range is stiff SL race board to avoid the noodle-ness.

Why not give Prior a call and see what demo/used customs they have around that would work for your weight? For sure production boards are not going to work, and that's a good way to get a custom at a lower price. I know Donek and Coiler also do nice customs, but they do not usually have any used around.