Note to New Members ×

Best route to Summit from San Diego?

piusthedrcarve

Most of us are using Hwy 38 out of Redlands. It is only a few more exits farther than the 210 turn off that takes you to the 330. I think it is 3 more exits. There are signs on the 10 fwy to help out. It is a longer route. But lots of it is very easy driving. Just beware of the deep shaded corners. They often are wet/icy/slipery, even when the pavement on both sides of them is dry. It is not unusual to have miles of clear pavement, then suddenly find yourself on ice. Be particularly careful of the corners in the first few miles heading out of Angelous Oaks. I have seen two vehicles flipped there in the last month.

No one ever comes over to MT High to carve with us...I have ridden both/ Chair 7 vs East Resort/no contest... East wins.

but when you live right at the bottom of the mtns that lead to Big Bear why drive over there? I can understand all you long distance commmuters driving 2-3 hours and wanting to get to the snow quick doing the Mtn High thing but for me Summit is 55 minutes away.

Snow Summit vs. Mtn High = no contest. Summit wins everytime

but when you live right at the bottom of the mtns that lead to Big Bear why drive over there? I can understand all you long distance commmuters driving 2-3 hours and wanting to get to the snow quick doing the Mtn High thing but for me Summit is 55 minutes away.

Snow Summit vs. Mtn High = no contest. Summit wins everytime

Ehhh, I'm coming from Walnut (Diamond Bar/Pomona area), Mt. High is closer, but it's like this for me.

There's the Nevada/California border with Prim, Buffalo Bills, and Wiskey Pete's, or you can suck it up and drive another 45 minutes and be in Vegas...

In any case, with the 330 being closed and the commute longer, further, and harder, it actually works out to my advantage. I figure most people are lazy and would rather go to Mt. High with the cheaper lift tickets, and easier commute.

It just means that Summit will be less crowded, which, for what i've been seeing this season, is true. Ticket prices are a moot point since I have a season pass, which is only $50 more expensive than the season pass at Mt. High (granted, my Summit pass isn't good on Saturday's and there are holiday blackouts).

BTW, I had a season pass at Mt. High for the 2006/2007 season. I never went back there after that season. And, another thing, so long as I don't get suck behind some slow poke - the mt. drive up to Big Bear and down is super fun for me.

Edit: one last thing, the only runs I made it to at Mt. High were on the West side - Conquest rules. I never got out to the East side because they didn't have the water capacity to keep making snow. Summit uses 7800 gallons of water per minute when operating at full snow making capacity, and they have the lake to support that. When the natural snow is lacking as it was in 06/07, I find the Big bear resorts had more realistic snow bases with fewer rocks and twigs coming up out of the snow. One thing I will definitely conceed to Mt. High is that their night sessions rule. They have what seems to be better lighting, more runs open, more lifts operating, and everyday night sessions (not just Friday/Sat).