Note to New Members ×

SGP Lowrider plate review

I received a few weeks ago from Lowrider a SGP plate for testing. So here is my review.

Parts are very well machined with brass inserts for the sliders. I was very impress with the metal work. Setup is very straight forward, takes a few minutes the first time but once you understand the principle it's very straight forward.

I mounted the plate on my stiffest board my AM-T 172.

I had no opinion on the plate before testing it, I wasn't for or against it. So here are my impressions of the plate.

I after reading here I was worried at low speed but it wasn't really an issue. Even at lower speed on the SGP plate you can handle the board decently and change directions Braking was a little different it felt like the board wants to throw you overboard forward the first few time but then you adjust and it's a non issue again. The height of the plate is 1 and 1/4 inch high.

Took me about 3 runs to get comfy with the plate, at first I felt I was riding the tail a lot and then adjusted fairely easely.

Riding wise, the first thing that struck me was how SMOOTH it made my board feel and it was a icy night. Not the west coast is.. the real Ice coast ice ;) It felt like a different board. The edge hold was amazing on ice, no shattered or almost. The first word that came to my mind was Smooth when riding the plate.

On the negative side. It's heavy, just like any other plate system is, I did weight the plate at just over 4 pounds with all hardwear. You get used to it after a few runs. It's mostly in the chairlifts because riding it, the weight wasn't a problem. There has been some talk about height but the height wasn't a problem either for me.

The main drawbacks for me is you loose all feelling for the snow under your board and feet. I like to feel every single cracks, bumps or changes in the snow and with the plate you have 0 feelling. You also loose the ability to manipulate your board during a turn, the board just turns. It's much harder or almost impossible to pedal or bend the board using your knees to change edge pressure or carve radius.

We are still in the infancy of the plates. I 'd like to see more options from the builders in terms of plate stifness. I'm not a World cup rider that weights 190 and can leg press XXX pounds therefore I do not believe I need a plate as stiff.

Once you are locked in a turn getting out of it is almost impossible the board will carve. Is that a good thing or bad thing, you can be the judge.

So do I want a plate? I will most likely get one.. but doupt I would use it all the time. For me the feelling of the snow under my feet is more important than what the plate can bring me at this moment.

I still want to do more testing on my Madd 170 to see how the plate handles on a classic wood board

I hope this helps.

post-1174-141842332258_thumb.jpg

post-1174-141842332261_thumb.jpg

post-1174-141842332263_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...