Note to New Members ×

Boiler Plate (Day One Impressions)

Hey guys, just got back from a day on the hill with Fin's new creation. Thought I would throw up a quick review of what I think so far. I had the chance to ride the plate on 3 different boards.

#1: Team8 162 Metal BX board. This is the first metal board to come out of Team8, it has two titanal layers (Thanks Bruce!) along with an aspen core, glass, carbon, rubber, ect. 162 length, 140+ running length, 12.5 radius, very (very) stiff.

I rode this board with the plate for two runs, before switching back to run 2 BX races. These two combined create some SERIOUS edge hold. So serious that it was damn near impossible to get it to release. With the need to skid some turns while racing I do would not suggest putting the plate on a BX board, unless:

-It is a softer board, with a shorter effective edge.

-The board has a good degree of base bevel (1.5 degrees+)

For a soft boot carving board, this would be pretty hard to beat. The width of the board (26cm) combined with the larger radius makes it a lot of fun. I used Burton CO2s/ Driver Xs the whole time I was riding the combo.

#2: Kessler Custom 162. Used as my slalom board, has a 10m radius and super long effective edge. Very lively and a ton of fun to ride. This was the first alpine board I rode with the plate.

First run was sketchy to say the least, the plate gives off a very different feel. In my opinion you really have to trust that it will do its job, since you cannot really feel when you start to lose a turn. It all happens at once. Once I got into it, I was amazed. I was able to regain most of the poppiness of the board and was whipping turns just like normal.

#3: Prior WCRM 177W. Used as my GS board. Standard specs, 13m radius, 21 waist, ect. Snow was piling up a bit more and getting pushed into softer piles by the time I got on it.

First off, the board is the Olympic maple leaf topsheet, paired with TD3s, the plate makes everything look dead sexy, but about the other stuff:rolleyes:

I was amazed yet again by the edge hold and smoothness of this combo. Tracking through piles of pow felt like I was riding new groom. Times when I would usually get chatter disappeared and let me really rail the board. Stoked to race it this coming weekend.

A few notes I thought of over the day:

-The plate makes boards run (atleast in my case) a bit longer. This could be a pro when running GS on a smaller board, or a con when running a tight slalom course.

-The weight increase was noticed, but it really is negligible. Anyone who complains about the increase should go to the gym. :smashfrea

-I was a bit dissapointed to find out that I had to remove my TD3s to switch the plate from board to board.

-The fit and finish of the plate and hardware is beautiful. The red annodizing really puts it over the top.

-Slow speed handling is possible if you know what to do. As Fin told me and I found out, the faster you run this plate, the better it performs.

Hoping I put everything in there I wanted to. Wishing the camera would work so I could share the Prior setup, but this will have to do. If anyone has any other questions, feel free to PM me through the system.

Mike

5351243896_c81722678b.jpg