Note to New Members ×

Screw length for older Prior ?

piusthedrcarve

I'm having a hard time to put OS2's screws (M6x12mm) with D3 elastomers into the older Prior board. It seems i need at least 14mm or so. since the inserts are located in little deeper.

The first thread engagement starts little deeper than newer board since the Prior has holes figured as this:

\ /

| | <---first thread

| |

Does anyone use longer screws for this type?

piusthedrcarve, I always run a (bottom) tap into all inserts, blow them clean, visually check the threads and check the depth of each insert with a dial caliper. The inserts seem to vary alot from different manufacturers as to where the threads start from the actual topsheet surface. I want the maximum tread engagement (without bottoming the fastener) for best hold. Often (in a used board) the threads closest to the top of the insert are worn (diameter) damaged from starting screws cross threaded or stripped.

If it means I need to grind down a longer screw to get the length I need, I do it, and make up a couple of spares and keep them in a small plastic bag. It's a little extra work, but you only need to do it right once.

JMO/jp1

It doesn't matter what board you are trying to mount the bindings on if you are using 12 mm screws with the D3 elastomers, it won't work as the screws are too short. You need 14 mm screws to compensate for the additional thickness of the D3 elastomers.