Note to New Members ×

Donek plate

Hmm, suprprised that threr is no review yet about this, but some one should start, so i will.

I''l been now 9 days with Donek 4x4 plate, feed back od UPM version when my new Coilers will arrive.

Back ground:

Board: 177 Coiler NSR with 23 center width

Rider: 180cm, 82kg, stance 54cm, angles 50/55

Style: slowhand flegmatic-carving

Setup: rear axle in center of binding, front axle roughly 30mm behind center of binding

Disappointments ( to what i expected):

- no problems with slow speed

- no change how nose of board is loaded

- kickin board on flat is more painfull due extra height

I love:

- my favourite board get even better :1luvu:

- even more stability and even less load to my feets

- extra edge hold

- switched from TD2+extra suspension kit to F2 Intec race and this feels more stable ride even rough surface, so i can sell all my suspension kits away

I will continue with fiddle with plate setups to see if i could get even more out of it. Specially after getting my new UPM Coliers :ices_ange

• 1 month later...

Donek 4X4 Plate Review

Conditions: Groomed packed powder, fresh powder (2”), Hard packed and chopped up areas

Bindings used: Bomber TD3 SI with TD2 Erings and center disks

Boots: Track 700T White with BTS and Fintecs

Board: Donek FC Metal 171 from 09/10 season

Donek Plate with 4X4 hardware

weight: 155 – 160 without gear

Rider skill/experience/style: Average / 20 plus years on alpine gear / race carve – upright

Decided to mount the Donek Plate on a board I was familiar with and run on a mountain that I know well. That way I could evaluate the plate since some variables were eliminated.

I took a few runs to get the feel for the plate. Overall, no issues but could feel the additional height. It took about 4 runs to get dialed into the low speed adjustments at a crowded resort.

The first thing I noticed was how easily the board would carve and go up on edge. Some of this was from extra leverage the plate provides due to the height off the board.

Second… was how nicely the board flexed with the terrain and carves. No real extra effort was required – just seemed like the board was happy on edge like a freight train on rails. The faster I went the better it felt and found myself going way too fast in areas that I shouldn’t have.

Third… I noticed or felt that I could angulate better and really got the board on edge with very little concern about losing an edge. Always had excellent grip.

Hardware: everything worked smoothly. Nothing loose and no rattles. The Aluminum plates on top of the pucks got iced up but no significant snow build-up under the plate.

The extra weight was noticeable but not that significant.

Overall: Very impressed. Fit and finish is good. Ride was much better than I expected. Can’t believe this is only like $400. Nice work Sean!

• 4 weeks later...

Took out the Donek plate (4x4 pattern) week before the Banked Slalom at Baker. I mounted this up on my 162 Sims Daytona. 2 reasons; I have been on this board a lot last season so it provides a good baseline, and I wanted to see how a plate performed on a shorter board. Conditions were ideal for plate testing i.e. hard choppy icy snow. I found this plate was fairly easy to pedal when carpet surfing, and it was easy to skid the board at will, reset the edge and go while riding. Low speed handling was initially a chore, but if you ride with some authority it is a non-issue. Due to this being a short board, I found that it did not take all the roughness out of the ride, but it did take out a lot. I was charging stuff harder than I would have w/o the plate, and enjoying it. Also found it easier to overpower this board with the plate. The only downside for me is the weight. I ride Baker almost exclusively these days, and none of the chairs have footrests. As I am still riding with a torn meniscus in my left(front) knee, the weight got to be unbearable after a couple hours. Fortunatly I brought out my Rossi Half-Gun, and hiked for some pow turns...nice end to a nice day.

I think this plate is a good way to get into the world of plate systems, and there is benefits for the short board rider. Stack height was really not noticed (TD2 bindings) and ride improvement was enough in this app. for me to be happy. Weight is more of an issue to me because of my knee, but it will be moved to my big Donek for some hard carving in the near future.

• 1 month later...

today and took out the Donek 182 Thorndike I got from Bryan last fall. I mounted up the Donek plate and headed to Stevens Pass this morning. I've been dodging this board all winter because it is plenty stiff for my weight..,maybe a little cowardice is involved too. Arrived in time for some fresh flakes falling, and some fairly good but wet snow. Short story, I was able to bend this thing with ease, and I was pleasently suprised with how short I could make this turn when it was driven high on edge, yet could turn large by easing off. I think, as others have stated, that a plate gives new life and use to a glass old school board. The one thing that was a real eye opener was what the plate soaked up. After visibility got to where I didn't feel safe charging it, I took out my 192 Tanker w/the TD2 air suspension on it. I felt so much more of the small stuff under foot I was suprised. These 2 will stay paired up and in the quiver, something I originally hadn't planned on! Can't wait to try a plate on a new school shape!