Note to New Members ×

Donek GS 185 Metal (3rd Gen)

GeoffV

Specs:

184cm

Waist: 20cm

Side cut: nose 14m

Tail: 20m

Set up, Bomber Boiler plate, TD3 step-ins.

I rode the 1st gen 185 GS boards at the ECES in March of 2010. These are the same boards that were at the SES in 2010 as well.

My impressions of the first gen was that the nose was to soft, the board felt dead and wasn't giving me the positive feedback I wanted. I loaded the nose several times. After I got of the board my impressions were,it's ok, do I want one, no. My Coiler NSR 185 rode like a GS big board should, the 1st Gen 185 GS did not.

Fast forward to December 2010 for Sean's 3rd generation of the 185 GS boards. This trip was my first day on snow and I was on a boiler plate so there was a lot of new equipment under my feet. However I am not one of those guys that get's thrown off by riding different boards nor am I a big tinkerer, I learn to adjust and make it work. I spent a total of 3 days on the GS 185. I was asked if I wanted to try a Sigi 185, but I was perfectly fine with the Donek.

The 3rd Gen is a huge improvement, I noticed it right away in my first turn. The board is a lot stiffer in the nose and has a lot more feedback. It's more stable and feels like a big board (vs 185 1st Gen that turned like a 170).

The 185 is more planted and very stable at higher speeds.

I was able to spend a few hours on firm east coast snow conditions on my last day. I was right at home on these conditions and the Donek railed through the turns and was very stable. The 185 GS metal is now on pair with Coiler which was my only comparison. I have not been on any 185 Sigi's, Kesslers or Priors.

If you are in the market for a GS board and don't want to pay the Sigi or Kessler prices consider Sean's 3rd gen line of metal GS boards. The are great:biggthump

post-62-141842327628_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

i have ridden this board as well... The VSR starts the turn early, and releases it as you finish the turn-- very similar to when you are gate training and as you pass the gate, the board (and turn) lets loose to start the next.

the board felt stable under foot.

the multiple radius sidecut is something that starts to feel natural if you have been riding kesslers for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you like the large variable turning radius (14-20)? Do you know what the effective edge of the board is? Thanks, -Sven

Sven, based on the specs on Doneksnowboards.com the effective edge is 171.5cm. I am not a racer but still enjoy the variable side cut. As Neil pointed out the board turns in easy and fast, once it hooks up and releases after the apex you really gain a lot of speed at the end of the turn.

What is great about the VSR boards or variable side cuts is that the boards become more versatile. I am able to tighten up my turns as well as let the board ride.

Sean has come a long way since the 1st Gen of GS boards I demoed at our ECES 2010. I look forward to testing his next set of boards at our ECES 2012.