Note to New Members ×

Adjusting my Head Stratos Boots

tdiggity

jmo, but I would say wherever you are comfortable when in the bindings would be a good starting point.

It's all personal preference, you will learn by feel as you get more use to your set up.

Keep track of any changes you make, and try to change one thing at a time, so you can always go back to where you were if necessary.

Good Luck, you'll love hardbooting once things start to click. :biggthump

What he said. There's probably something in the files on this site or Carver's Almanac on how to set them up.

I just bought some and set them up, but I have the advantage of knowing roughly what I want, based on my last pair. Your settings will be different.

Broadly you have a choice if you set things on the boots or on your bindings.

Cant, well only use that if you have legs which need it - most people don't. The cant adjusters on boots are pretty crude in my view and hard to adjust much. I'd set them to the middle and tighten them, and check they don't move once you've ridden hard.

Personally with these boots I set the lean of the front one low (upright) and the back one high (leant forward), because that's how my stance works. I also have a 1-degree toe lift on the front binding and a 3-degree on the back. That way I can pressure the front edge easily and it all seems to work. I found that point by riding and seeing where things weren't working.

Other stuff is just general boot things - get the liners moulded, get your heel where it should be, start with them fairly loose and see how it goes.

I'm currently using black the tongues they came with; I may switch to the grey ones later if I get bored or feel the need. The spring tension I left as they came (which means adjustment as I changed the lean as above).

If you want to schlep up to San Carlos one day, I'd be happy to help you mess with them. I've had the same boots for years now and been messing with hard boot setups for decades. PM or email me. Just plan to bring your board/bindings, although I have some here as well. I'm here during the week and in Tahoe on weekends.

I just got these boots at the beginning of this season, and I have ridden them about 5 days so far, and think I have them really dialed in for me. I put the softer tongue on the back foot, and adjusted the spring to be a little softer. This was a great move and feel great in them. But it is all personal preference based on how you ride.