Note to New Members ×

setback on 0 taper boards

CarvCanada

I'm not sure it makes sense to factor taper into the setback equation. I mean, you could draw a line between the centers of the sidecut radii, and center your stance where that line crosses the board's centerline, and on tapered boards that would be a little bit aft of the center of the effective edge... but I don't think that it makes sense to do so.

I adjust my setback so that my front leg and back leg have equal stress on them when carving. When I had my stance too far back, I had to counter that by leaning forward in my carves, and my front leg burned out faster than my back leg. Moving my stance forward cured that.

I meant in my question, knowing that tapered boards have a sidecut apex slightly tailwards of the center of effective edge, boards with taper have their insert packs slightly tailwards too. But boards with no taper have their inserts centered on the effective edge. Is running setback on a board like this good for an aggressive style? I figured it would be since with your weight a few cm back you can drive it forward to initiate the turn. It feels good for me, it feels more dynamic to ram your weight forward and at the transition it feels more snappy off the tail when you move your weight from the tail to the nose in the transition.