Note to New Members ×

OT:Incredible Bicycle ride: Danny Macaskill

nils

Yeah, but no... :nono:  It's been over 33 yrs. since I rode a dirt motorbike with any intent.  It was a hell of a lot of fun, but that limber young lad I was is not who's typing now!. 

I truly do respect Trials Riding, be it with or without a motor. The thinking and skill that go into it are often up to the limits of imagination of the rider, and using the terrain around you in that way is creativity in motion. :cool:

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

• 3 weeks later...

So, now that "mud season" has abated, and the Deer Flies/Mosquito-Hawks aren't yet in the woods, have you been out and gettin' some stonewall/boulder action? 

Meanwhile, I'm mourning having sold my Ross Mt-Hood Cruiser, which featured 4 gears at less than 1-to-1, and Shimamo Biopace elliptical (thus not 'two-stroke' pedal power<but smooth power) chainrings. even if it weighed too much. It'd crawl on spots that I didn't even like walking over!

3 inches of snow yesterday,  so it needs to dry out a bit.  Am doing an hour in the evening, in the back.   16 hrs on the bike now. Still trying to find the proper slow speed jet/air screw setting. Its  a 300, this should not be hard.   The rocks in the back look a lot different now,  there are actual trails in between them. I am connecting new ones daily, and they are getting close to one another,  so the possibility of zig zagging is increasing,  So the boredom factor is decreasing.   Am looking at some of the smaller/easier rocks as a possible up and over for the first time.  One section there is 6 deep holes to go in/out as you climb or descend, with a couple more holes to be added later. 

Went on a scouting mission for possible areas locally,  but what I found was my back spot is better,  why go else where.  So I am going to concentrate on my spot.  But it is always fun to go somewhere else and turn the rpm's on for a bit.  4th is where I keep it mostly,  5 mph and it wheelies up to about 20 mph with a moderate blip.  30 hp at 143 pounds dry. It has the same weight to hp ratio as  a  CR450 mxer.  If you slip the clutch and hook up, it launches you. "use caution",

But in my spot,  mostly idling in 1 and 2nd.   What once was hard is now easy,  and am making the newer trails/sections more difficult.

• 1 month later...

At 50 hours on the bike,  floating the rear wheel in air down steep inclines, starting to hang wheelies  a good distance in many spots.  Hopping 4 foot rocks with a strong blip at the base, the fly wheel carries the bike over.  Left the bike in the sun from 2 pm to 4 pm and went for a ride ,  it felt as though it was alive with a beating heart, might switch to ATF for gear box, and 2 weight fork and shock oil. presently at 5 weight. And all while riding stock light weight springs, 160 to 175 pds,   but no big hits/slpatter yet for me.  maybe never. I need to be coached on that,  to stay un broken.  If any one is thinking of getting into moto trials,  do it, any way you can.  I went to an event , and things have changed big time, over the past 7 or so years, the sections are very difficult ,  even for novice,  But the expert sections are practically impossible.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:52 AM, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Have the leaves started turning? Watch for the wet cover!!

Yes ,  yellows and reds.  Not many leaves on the ground yet.  A little double whiskey throttle because I did not get the traction I thought I would, while doing a funky boulder.  I saved it and took  a few good breathes.   Nothing like a little excitement to wake you up, in the gentle sport of trials.

The 6 month warranty expired, So I switched from the recommended 10w40 crank/gear case oil to ATF.   The performance difference is huge. Much more throttle response off of idle, to a point of I could not stall it. Could actually go slower using ATF with no stalling. And much more response when hitting it off idle.  It is like a whole new bike.  Just change it every 10 hours or less,  but at 16 ounces for $1.50 and a 5 minute time to change,  it is not  a problem.  

Doing 1st gear balance wheelies, A good point to using first gear is you are going so slow,  if you need to bail out,  you just step off the bike and hold it there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Discovered a new training drill, I think.  Total ice covered road, no sand, with 2 inches of day old untouched snow,  riding the trials bike while the front wheel brake is totally on and front wheel locked. First gear slow, and see how far can go in  a balance and not put a foot down. Got some spots up to 20 feet in  a strait line, Could steer a little left or right to maintain balance. What messed me up was that there were some bumps in the ice.

Edited by RobertAlexander