Note to New Members ×

Shipping question to UK from US

piusthedrcarve

I've done it a couple of times:

(1) Sean at Donek will mail you stuff direct and take care of all the details for you.

(2) Usually I bring things in by hand, carefully remembering to keep the receipts with me so when I walk down the red channel I can declare them to pay the VAT and duty. Ahem.

Actually I recently bought some new teeth (implants) in the US and I forgot to declare those... I wonder how that one works.

Check the duty, and check how it and the VAT are collected. Typically the courier will collect it on delivery, and will charge you £10 or £20 for the privilege. That said, on several occasions I've bought things in the US, brought them home and used them for a couple of years, then sold them on for the same amount I'd pay here. Living in "treasure island" has it's advantages sometimes.

Finally... not too long ago I was trying to buy a lens in the UK. The US price was about half the uk price, but I needed it quickly. My local Pro dealer quoted me a couple of weeks delivery. It was shipped to me from New York in 3 days.

Hi,

Flying intercontinental with not to heavy luggage you´re allowed to bring skis and other equpment at no xtra. I never ship anything when I fly to US from Europe and back. I have a couple of times brought as many as 9 boards when there is "piece luggage". You are allowed say 3 pieces and no weight restriction except than one single "bag " is´nt very heavy (around 30 kg a piece). But that´s long gone in the bad times for airlines. So normally it´s 30 kg per person skis or boards inlcuded.

If you´re buying equipment in the US and ship it to an EU country and your stuff is sent with proper invoicing they´ll add VAT to the shipping costs as well.

There is also 3% tax added if you unlucky on sports goods.

/M