Note to New Members ×

Splitfire questions

BlueB

So I've got the elusive Split... Feels awsome.

However, I have few questions for the experts:

1) How much de-wedging (from level) majority uses for slalom? I found the 35* base with 13*-16* to work ok, but would like to hear from more experienced.

2) Does anyone flip the hanger around and what is achieved that way. From experience with Randal 110 (trimmed 125) as the rear truck, it changes the feel quite a bit...

3) Bushing recommendations?

4) Finaly, the difference in feel of the Gen1 Split (Tracker base) to later Gens (Randal bases)? Mine is the Randal base version and it feels, well, like a sophisticated Randal...

So I've got the elusive Split... Feels awsome.

However, I have few questions for the experts:

I'm not an expert, but here's how mine is setup:

1) How much de-wedging (from level) majority uses for slalom? I found the 35* base with 13*-16* to work ok, but would like to hear from more experienced.

Aboot -9* on a 28* baseplate. Essentially the same as your -16*.

2) Does anyone flip the hanger around and what is achieved that way. From experience with Randal 110 (trimmed 125) as the rear truck, it changes the feel quite a bit...

I don't think Splits were designed to do this. You might end up with the hanger crashing into the baseplate. I'd check for hanger/baseplate clearance if you try it..

Mine is set up with a homeade Retro 89a Jimz shape boardside, homemade Retro 89a Stim shape roadside.

3)4) Finaly, the difference in feel of the Gen1 Split (Tracker base) to later Gens (Randal bases)? Mine is the Randal base version and it feels, well, like a sophisticated Randal...

Dunno, I havent' ridden a Gen1. I have ridden Airflows, which are quite similar to Gen1 splits, and they feel a lot alike the Randal based split.

Thanks Curt!

I don't think Splits were designed to do this. You might end up with the hanger crashing into the baseplate. I'd check for hanger/baseplate clearance if you try it...

Yeah, it looked that it might be too tight with a normal bushing. But, it also looked that it could take a double stack, which would increase the clearance.

How do you ride your rear Randals? "CA" roadside, or "125" roadside? I found the CA roadside to be more stable, which would be similar geometry to flipped Split.

Mine is set up with a homeade Retro 89a Jimz shape boardside, homemade Retro 89a Stim shape roadside.

Thanks, it sounds that I'm in the ball park with my orange Bear Pumpkins.

How do you ride your rear Randals? "CA" roadside, or "125" roadside? I found the CA roadside to be more stable, which would be similar geometry to flipped Split.

When I ride Randals on the rear on slalom decks, they're usually flipped, or with the "CA" roadside. They feel more stable to me flipped also. The Split's are suppoded to be more stable than even a flipped randal because of the offset / inline axles.

I have an "unflipped" Randal on the back of my LDP setup right now, and I don't think I've even tried that flipped. I guess I'll have to put that on my list of things to try...

Spltfire R3 is my favorite all time slalom truck!

You have it pretty much spot on. I ran the 35° base with 10° to 15° dewedge. I use the 28° now.
No need to flip it and it was not designed for it.
Tracker Stims, Venom Eliminators, JimZ bottoms.

I use different mixes of the following bushings, depending on the type of course and speed of the hill:

- green Radikal (90a) reshaped like JimZ bottom

- black Radikal (95a) reshaped like JimZ bottom

- green Venom Eliminator (93a)

- pink Venom Eliminator (97a)

Keep in mind that I'm very very heavy. Combo I use the most is the double black Rads. Basically, stepped bushings work the best. But you need to find out what duro works for you.

4) Finaly, the difference in feel of the Gen1 Split (Tracker base) to later Gens (Randal bases)? Mine is the Randal base version and it feels, well, like a sophisticated Randal...
They can be made to feel pretty similar at regular slalom speeds (35 - 45 km/h). But the R1 is the only Split that gave me speed wobbles at very high GS speeds (65 - 70 km/h) so traded it for one more R3.

I saw some of your slalom vids. Very cool to see an active slalom scene in BC again. It is cool to see Malcolm back on a slalom board. Say hi to him for me at your next session.

Hey Mig, thanks for chiming in! Great to hear from Mr Fullbag himself!

I saw some of your slalom vids. Very cool to see an active slalom scene in BC again.

Thanks. We are having a blast!

Basically, after the revival of the alpine, the same group of riders decided to get into longboarding and eventually I steered things towards slalom. Then through Tenorman's (Doug's) connections, we met the pros - Malcolm, Hayato, Dan...

It is cool to see Malcolm back on a slalom board. Say hi to him for me at your next session.

Sure I would. But, Malcom's been slacking all summer long. Partially due to his job and I guess due to a slight dissapointment that most of us (new riders) are not up to his speed. However, he'll be in for a surprise when he shows up next time - Roy and myself have advanced a lot, well, especially Roy (Scooby)...

I think by the next spring, we'll be ready for some timed courses.

____

Skully man, don't tempt me with that grinder :D - it's one of my favorite tools!

If I had few Splits and they were a bit less expancive and hard to find, I would really try the mod.