Note to New Members ×

Sidewinder splitboard bindings are coming!

Buell

Here is the latest from Will about a Spark slider for the SW:

"It’ll probably be November before I’ll have time to whip something up, but I think it could be pretty fun."

Sounds promising! :biggthump

For those of you contemplating using Dynafit toepieces for the uphill (very highly recommended) Will says the price is coming down from $165 to $100. If you don't know, Spark makes adapter plates so you do not need to drill your splitboard to use the toepieces.

Sandy, that is cool! Keep us up to date.

"It’ll probably be November before I’ll have time to whip something up, but I think it could be pretty fun."

Sounds promising!

anxiously waiting...

For those of you contemplating using Dynafit toepieces for the uphill (very highly recommended) Will says the price is coming down from $165 to $100. If you don't know, Spark makes adapter plates so you do not need to drill your splitboard to use the toepieces.

nice:biggthump:biggthump

I have contemplated doing the toepieces, but it meant buying compatible boots as well. With the price drop, I justify the upgrades! :D

Garmont GSM's from 2000 or 2001

You may already know everything in this post.

It looks like you can shave some weight off each foot with new AT boots as well. With the boot weight savings and the binding weight in your pack, you will be much happier on the uphill! Unless Fin does something to lock out the SWer for touring, I think Dynafit toepieces will be almost necessary because I wouldn't expect the lateral flex to tour well when the skinning gets tougher. He may have found otherwise though.

This thread on TGR has a lot of good reading about AT boots (nothing specific to splitboarding though). It was started in 2007 so a lot of the first series of pages is older info. Generally the softer AT boots are preferred for splitboarding but most riders want them to feel like softboots on the way down. I am interested to hear what you end up with.

The "Boots" forum on Splitboard.com has snowboard specific AT boot threads and quite a bit on how to modify them if you want.

You may already know everything in this post.

It looks like you can shave some weight off each foot with new AT boots as well. With the boot weight savings and the binding weight in your pack, you will be much happier on the uphill! Unless Fin does something to lock out the SWer for touring, I think Dynafit toepieces will be almost necessary because I wouldn't expect the lateral flex to tour well when the skinning gets tougher. He may have found otherwise though.

This thread on TGR has a lot of good reading about AT boots (nothing specific to splitboarding though). It was started in 2007 so a lot of the first series of pages is older info. Generally the softer AT boots are preferred for splitboarding but most riders want them to feel like softboots on the way down. I am interested to hear what you end up with.

The "Boots" forum on Splitboard.com has snowboard specific AT boot threads and quite a bit on how to modify them if you want.

Thanks for the TGR link, hadn't seen that yet.

I've been perusing splitboard.com for about a year. I've seen your mods to the F1's and F3's. At my size (~210lbs, before gear), I am afraid to buy a boot with bellows.

Unless the manufacturers come out with something dramatically different for '10-'11, my current thoughts are either the Scarpa Spirit 3/Maestrale or Garmont Helix. The biggest determining factor will be which boot fits my wide foot. :( Any thoughts?

The weight of the Garmont Lightrider & Masterlite are appealing, but the prices are not...

edit: The Black Diamond Prime may also be a contender; the toe box looks roomy.

Thanks for the TGR link, hadn't seen that yet.

I've been perusing splitboard.com for about a year. I've seen your mods to the F1's and F3's. At my size (~210lbs, before gear), I am afraid to buy a boot with bellows.

Unless the manufacturers come out with something dramatically different for '10-'11, my current thoughts are either the Scarpa Spirit 3/Maestrale or Garmont Helix. The biggest determining factor will be which boot fits my wide foot. :( Any thoughts?

The weight of the Garmont Lightrider & Masterlite are appealing, but the prices are not...

Between your weight, your hardboot background, and the need to power your big 182 Venture (We actually have the 162, 25cm r-Storm for sale), I figured you would be after something more beefy than most AT splitboarders. Definitely no bellows for you!

I don't know which boots are best for wide feet. I have small, narrow, low volume feet. You might find opinions on that question in the TGR thread or by searching on Telemarktips. Definitely not the Scarpa F1/F3.

Unfortunately, good AT boots are really expensive. I try to buy at the end of the season. I got the F3s a couple of months ago on Tramdock for about half price (20 to 30% off is more typical though). I was also looking at the Dynafit Zzeros but they were hardly discounted anywhere.

AT boots are improving fast at the moment. There are some new boots out this year that I don't know, but a boot I would add to the list is the Dynafit Zzero 4 C-TF (if the fit works). I am really impressed by that boot and see a lot of them in the BC (on skiers). With your location, you will be able to try on many AT models. It feels strange to have so many choices.

Edit to add: I have seen the Heliums on Tramdock recently a couple of times for quite cheap. I don't know if they still have them in your size or if they will be up again.

Sounds promising! :biggthump

Sandy, that is cool! Keep us up to date.

Cool thanks Buell! I use Scarpa Spirits ... Decent boots and you can use sb series tongues to change the flex if you want?