Note to New Members ×

Searching for my first longboard

Andrew

Ive been park skateboarding for about 3 years now and never really payed attention to longboards. But now that I started hardbooting I now have an interest in longboarding as well.

I'm not really sure if I should buy a new complete or look around for a used board for carving and just riding around, so I thought I'd ask around here first.

I would prefer to spend less than $170 or so for a complete set, new or used.

maybe one of you guys would have a set that you are willing to sell, or at least point me in the right direction.

Ive been looking at thelongboardstore and thought the TLS 35" looked pretty nice. But again I thought I would ask around a little bit first.

Thanks,

Im really considering the supercharger. Im just wondering if it will be better for carving or for a smaller rider (im about 5'7 125 lbs.) I dont need an especially stable board at speed because theres no hills to ride on. So the better the board is for pumping the better it is for me.

Thanks again guys

you might even consider the Supercharger's little bro the Superglider.

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/earthwing-superglider-38-longboard.aspx

Both boards are really nice, they have lots of foot space to move around. They're not rock solid, but they don't flex like a noodle. They have a nice snap to the flex that makes they pretty awesome for carving and pumping on the flats, but they're solid enough to be stable at higher speeds.

The Superglider will be a little bit easier to pump due to the shorter wheelbase. You can't go wrong with either board.

In case you're still looking

A Landyachtz Dropspeed

180 Randal's, 80 classics

Picked it up to ride but I spend my summer's on roller skates and it's only transported me home from the local garage, about a 1/2 mile.

The bearings (abec7) were sticky but are now silent with excellent roll.

(it came with the wrong size spacers)

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc57/ursle/Longboars/?action=view&current=002.jpg

1001.jpg

You should post it up on Silverfishlongboarding.com

I think one of the mistakes that alpine snowboarders make getting into the longboarding world is buying a downhill board - they're not very carvy, and don't really turn all that much. They're also pretty useless unless you know how to coleman slide, because unless you know how to stop/slow yourself down safely, you're not gonna want to ride the thing any faster than you can push it... And, since it's not turning much, you can't really control your speed on the hills by carving...

In anycase, the first thing to learn on a longboard is how to coleman slide to save your ass. Foot braking is good too, but anything over 20 mph and I just don't have the balls to take my foot off of the board - that and my balancing leg (the one staying on the board) is the one i broke 3 years ago, and it's definitely "handicapped" at balancing.

Well I got the superglider yesterday and rode it quite a bit. Ive been working on my pumping and haven't made much progress. I know it will take more time but i'm wondering if a new set of bushings would help me out at all because ive read that the stock bushings can be cheap. Ive been looking around and have heard good things about the venom supercarve bushings. I just thought Id see what you guys though first

I use a lot of Venom Bushings....they take some getting used to compared to bushings with less rebound. Not to say that they are the only good bushing. Bones Hardcore bushings are great for Indy's. Khiro's are as well

I really like venom bushings. They work great for pumping IMO - they have a really nice rebound/return to center quality. Also, if you want to really pump, grab a blue barrel and blue cone (the softest ones) or two blue cones for your front truck. Then, wedge your front truck by about 5-7 degrees (watch out for wheel bite). You'll lose some stability doing this, but it'll be much easier to pump and give you a feeling of what kind of motions/gyrations you need to do in order to pump the board. It'll also make the board a lot more turny and carvy if that's what you're looking for. You will lose a little bit of stability as a trade off, so you'll have to balance it out to your riding style and preference.