Note to New Members ×

does wearing a helmet with EARHOLES effect your riding?

rikytheripster

Guest Randy S.

:confused: What? :confused: How would earholes affect your riding?

What do earholes have to do with it? I find that a helmet with removeable ear covering is nice when it is warm (which is most of the time in Tahoe). Full coverage helmets generally aren't vented as well as the ones with soft, removeable ear covers.

That said, if you are going full-out with high speed and layed-out carves, there are advantages to a helmet that covers your ears and sideburns with a hard shell. If you lose an edge and end up sliding on the side of your face, you'll save some skin having the longer shell. Unless I'm racing a speed event or a slalom where they've decided to bless us with full-height skier slalom poles, I wear a shortie helmet. I wear a full-face for speed days and those pesky slalom poles.

Guest Pre School Rider

I vote for helmets with ear-flaps personally.No half-domes,either,as the base of the skull is very vunerable in a whiplash-type fall.Protection of the brain-stem is something I feel a helmet should do,and it's irresponsible for helmet makers to even sell ones that don't protect there.Earholes suck if you ride anything like a slanted stance.They whistle,and worse,trap sounds from Only a small area to the sides of the helmet.This makes riding in crowded areas distinctly more dangerous,as you can't tell exactly where some noises originate,or how far away they are.Earflaps 'tend' towards keeping a decent periphery sense intact,and definately don't whistle easily just because you turned your head.Oh,and one last thing;how is it that some companies make the shells out of material that Shatters in cold weather? Doh! Pick your helmets wisely.Money isn't the issue,nor should fashion be.It's the Protection,comfort,and utility that matter really.Get domes that have the features and fit that'll work for ya when needed,as your braincase is pretty difficult to repair once it's crushed...

It actually could affect your speed, there was a Danish Olympic sailor who was doing fairly badly in a dinghy race...until he figured to take his cap of his ears. Couldn't get the correct feedback 'bout how the water was reacting with the hull.

So I wouldn't make a bet one way or other. You better try.

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by rikytheripster

...I dont want to get a helmet if it dulls my senses, thus my spacial awareness, etc

cheers

Not getting a helmet is much more likely to dull your senses than getting one with ear flaps. Ear flaps on a helmet won't dull your senses any more than a hat. Does a hat cause problems for your spacial awareness? If you are concerned, buy one where the ear flaps are removeable. Then you'll be all set, no matter the situation. PSR's suggestion about making sure it covers the back of your melon is important. It should go down roughly to your hairline (neck) for proper protection.

One problem I do sometimes have with helmets. The short ones with earflaps tend to lift up at about 50mph. Not enough to choke me, but I notice the chin strap pulling. If I tighten the strap enough to keep it down all the time, it is annoying during most riding so I live with the problem. I'm trying a new helmet this year from K2. Maybe it will be better. Something tells me most people don't go over 45-50mph so they haven't noticed this "problem".

I've got a fixed-bucket helmet with vents on the side (a Briko). There's a slight reduction of sound transmission, but it's more of an issue hearing soft conversation on a lift than a safety hazard on a run. I haven't noticed whistling from the vents, but maybe I'm not riding fast enough :O)

IMO, You want to be relying on your eyes for crash avoidance...anything you hear is often too late, I think.

joe...