Note to New Members ×

Why GI Golf Clubs are Like Metal Snowboards

Shred Gruumer

:) I switched to MP57 from MP33. MP57 is not game improvement (GI) irons but has cavity but not GI offset. Much better set than non-cavity blade type irons.

Now, If metal is GI, I wouldn't want it. Modern GI doesn't give feedback as much as Game Enhancement irons. I would like to see a board that works as MP57. <---Bruce.. this is my spec. :eplus2:

:) I switched to MP57 from MP33. MP57 is not game improvement (GI) irons but has cavity but not GI offset. Much better set than non-cavity blade type irons.

Now, If metal is GI, I wouldn't want it. Modern GI doesn't give feedback as much as Game Enhancement irons. I would like to see a board that works as MP57. <---Bruce.. this is my spec. :eplus2:

Sorry I ride Titleist AP2 and now build fiberglass/carbon boards again;)

Wow. AP2.. I had my eyes on AP2 when it was came out..(1 & 1/2 years ago) and seriously thought about switching to Titleist. It did perform better than any other irons, even better result than Mizuno.

BUT!! As you probably noticed from many Mizzy owners, it's hard to give up the feeling of mizzy's impact feel. So .. I guess I am more a feel player than a result-oriented player. :1luvu: I guess that same attitude goes to my riding style also. ;)

Not many skilled players are really comfortable with true game-improvement irons. Launch tends to be too high with the short clubs, and workability is really compromised also. Compact cavity back clubs, with minimal offset, would work just fine for many blade players, but real shovels just don't. Messing with bounce angle and camber and also leading edge grind can give a compact clubhead a lot of versatility in varied turf conditions, without going to a big wide skid-sole or a hybrid.

Take a look for instance at the Scratch website: www.scratchgolf.com for an assortment of grind options for various swings and turf/sand conditions (look for the "get fit" tab)

I play custom Scratch blades in the wedges, and AR-1 compact C-backs through the rest of the set. I do own big EZ-1 GI 4i and 5i, but just find them too clumsy, and prefer the more compact 5i at the very least. In soft conditions I'll play a 26° hybrid instead of my 4i, otherwise the transition is from 4i to 23°.

One thing a lot of elite players are doing with the new grooves is to go to more bounce - allows a cleaner strike and also lets them deloft the club without digging. More bounce on a big GI club and you'd skip into the ball a lot.

Good information on golf equipments.

But here OP, Shred Gruumer, are asking us to compare how metal snowboards impact the alpine snowboarding to GI clubs do it for golf.

Because of its easiness of riding on various conditions, metal snowboards are like GI golf clubs. But a significant difference exist. PRICE. :lol: Most of GI clubs are selling at affordable price range ($300-600) which promotes beginners to take advantage of its price and enhance their skills over times. How about our metal snowboards? As we all know, newer technology metal boards like WCRM, FLC, Metal FC/Race are selling at its brand's higher price range. It is probably due to higher? cost materials and manufacturing cost. I dunno.

Wow.. We could call Ride Improvement boards or Ride Enhancement boards to market boards to riders! Maybe better ways to market alpine snowboards. Just a thought. ;)

+1 pushy on what I was asking.. I there is a good gap.. for GI and GE..Ping i15 vs G15.. big difference.. I went towards the i15 but still give me an easy club to hit ended up with X22's.. I have been playing since I was 13.. but as you get older and bones acke and some back issues ,, well a GI or GE starts to make sense ,, why would I make it harder on myself.. same goes with a metal boards.. I have many and each one is way easier to ride on multiple of surfaces than any glass board i had, yes and madds too, IMHO..:)

Price??? well Coiler makes it easy to get into one!!

I was sitting at home swinging my X22's just thingking about riding..doh!!

RSS

My 2 cents-- GI clubs are Marketing BS. If you have a correct swing - it does not matter what club you swing. Spoken from a guy who is an old fart swinging muscle backed forged soft steel with rifle shafts... the only way to hit a golf ball. Cast Stainless heads Suck big time... if you can ride an alpine board you can hit a forged club....

My 2 cents-- GI clubs are Marketing BS. If you have a correct swing - it does not matter what club you swing. Spoken from a guy who is an old fart swinging muscle backed forged soft steel with rifle shafts... the only way to hit a golf ball. Cast Stainless heads Suck big time... if you can ride an alpine board you can hit a forged club....

I'm a big forged devotee also, partly because as a clubmaker they're just so much easier to bend, and for my playing set went from GI forgings (Maltby M-05 and MTF) to the current Scratch set, which are so soft you can almost bend them by hand. However, if you want an eye-opener on cast clubs, try a Ping S57 sometime. Compact, minimal offset, and the sound/feel is indistinguishable from a soft forging. It's not casting per se which sux, or even the metal, since 303ss is pretty darn soft - it's the clunky design of most cast clubs. Conversely, there are forgings with just atrocious feel (first edition X-Forged for instance)

No registred dissabilities yet to get me one of those things that hang from your mirror to get me closer to the club house parking.. But I have bone spurs in C5 and C4 and limited mobility in my left wrist after breaking it in the shower..

But I did stay at a holiday inn express last night..:biggthump

Finished with a 5 last season.