Note to New Members ×

Donek Metal FC vs Volkl Renn Tiger

voytazbrna

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new here, but I have been riding for over 10 years. I've had the same pair of boots for the last 10 years (Raichle 224) and I'm on my second board (Head AX 171 - 7 years old). I realized it's time for an upgrade.

I pretty much found the right boot - Deelux 700t, but I can't quite decide on the board. I thought the Donek Metal FC (185) and the Volkl Renn Tiger (183) both might be the right choice for me. I've read a lot of great stuff about the Donek, but there are not a lot of reviews about the Volkl.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or what are your thoughts in general.

The price difference is $300 in favor of the Volkl, which is a lot of money. Is the difference really that noticeable?

I don't race, just a recreational carver who loves the speed.

Any help/advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tailored flex and width of the Donek should be worth quite a bit, unless you can get a stock RT that just happens to fit you. Not to mention you would be supporting a small company in the US by buying a US engineered and produced board. I think Bomber even had the FC 185 on sale. Don't remember if it is metal though.

Yeah, the Donek is metal (2 layers of titanium + some carbon fiber) and from what I found on the net the Volkl also has a layer of titanium, but I couldn't find much more detail about it.

Good point with supporting the US economy :) I like that!

They are currently both on sale, but the price difference is still $300. I was just wondering if I can justify it.

Yeah, the Donek is metal (2 layers of titanium + some carbon fiber) and from what I found on the net the Volkl also has a layer of titanium, but I couldn't find much more detail about it.

Good point with supporting the US economy :) I like that!

They are currently both on sale, but the price difference is still $300. I was just wondering if I can justify it.

FYI - it's titanal, an aluminum alloy, not titanium.

I went from a Niedecker 173 GS to the FCII 179 this year and my riding bumped up about 3 levels. I am hooked on the Donek thing now , the board rides really well through a bunch of conditions and also through a range of riding styles. In all fairness , I havent ridden the Volkl, but i ski Volkl skis and love them. I really am happy with the FC and the folks I ride with would tell me if there is something I was missing.I'm looking at other offerings in the Donek line for next year, Just my 2 cents.