Note to New Members ×

Grandpas snowboard club

UK40

As you get older we get wiser and that states "keep your board and feet on the ground". I did not go to a hard boot set up till I was around 53 yr - have given away most of my skis to friends. I need and want to stay without injury - too much golf to play and many days ahead to ride the snow.

cheers Uldis - you are pretty young kid.:D

I would have to say that you can get injured staying on the ground too. Stay strong including your shoulders and arms and rip. I f you are relaxed and comfortable getting some air, just do it. When you get into your 50’s you should still be able to rip it up if you stay strong and keep an interest in the sport. When I started riding I went from skis (tele) right into carving. I am glad that I kept at least one pair of skis because after a couple of years they can be fun again at times.

Grandpa.....40??? I didn't even start until I was forty-two. Innumerable bumps and buises, a couple of concussions, a broken collarbone and dare I say, bruised ego later, I consider myself a fairly proficient albeit not expert carver! I'm currently fifty eight, still laying out respectable trenches and looking forward to reaching "Grandpa" status....thank you very much! BTW...purchasing a helmet has limited my concussions to two. :) (knock on wood)

Originally posted by C5 Golfer

As you get older we get wiser and that states "keep your board and feet on the ground". I did not go to a hard boot set up till I was around 53 yr - have given away most of my skis to friends. I need and want to stay without injury - too much golf to play and many days ahead to ride the snow.

cheers Uldis - you are pretty young kid.:D

thank you, last year i infected my older

brother(45) with hard board too, he

was a skier like i was . you can't imagine,

our higest mountain in latvia(east europe) is 311 m,

longest track 350m.

:( thank you for advice

post-1292-141842199043_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Miguel

Grandpa.....40??? I didn't even start until I was forty-two. Innumerable bumps and buises, a couple of concussions, a broken collarbone and dare I say, bruised ego later, I consider myself a fairly proficient albeit not expert carver! I'm currently fifty eight, still laying out respectable trenches and looking forward to reaching "Grandpa" status....thank you very much! BTW...purchasing a helmet has limited my concussions to two. :) (knock on wood)

thank you Miguel. i'm realy amazed about

your age.

I get a kick out of guys in their 30s talking about "Getting Older" and the aches and pains. "Grandpa" at 40?? Come on. I just got a call from one of my snow bros on Hood, he is in his 80s. Enjoying his free season passes to the tune of 50-100 days a year. Now HE has a right to complain. Although he never does. Definitely stay fit, but more important is the desire. Enjoy the flow, Bryan / late 40s.

PS. I have not got him on a carving set up yet, however he does ride "Pocket Rocket" twin tips.

There was once a thread here that gave everyone's age and I was quite a good distance from the top. Last year I logged sixty days on the hill....not bad for a weekend warrior. Riding nights and being a teacher helps. I routinely outlast my much younger compadres...always being up for "just one more"! I contribute my success to a religious devotion to a combination of yoga and weight bearing exercise. With that and a little luck I plan on riding well into my retirement days....he he...starting after next year! Can you say 100+ days on the hill!!

Greys on trays forever!!:D

My two favorite stories are - this guy who was 80 or so on a TV special ladt year - he was asked if he did the all terain park and he replied " no, I just like to cruise" then it showed him falling and he got back up quicker than most. and then my hero 86 yr old guy that still races but on skis - he was interviewed with his racing number plaque on his chest and his helmet and he was saying " I am a little pissed that I have to race against these young guys that are 70 -75 - it just isn't fair"

I'll be 59 Thanksgiving day and into my 11th year in hardboots. My avatar picture was taken when I was 48 and I've probably averaged 50 riding days a year for the last 14. I think once you get past catching edges, it's a lot easier on your body than sking. A lot easier on your knees at least. I've found it's a little harder to stay in shape since I retired, and I can't ride all day like I used to, but then the tourists start getting in the way around noon anyway. When I first started snowboarding, there was a guy in his late 70's that rode a snowboard, mono ski, snow snake (feet in line like a 'teleboard') and downhilled, depending on conditions and what he brought with him. Anyhow, don't worry about if you'll be able to carve at 50 but start thinking about what your going to do with your winters when your 80.

Originally posted by trikerdad

I'll be 59 Thanksgiving day and into my 11th year in hardboots. My avatar picture was taken when I was 48 and I've probably averaged 50 riding days a year for the last 14. I think once you get past catching edges, it's a lot easier on your body than sking. A lot easier on your knees at least. I've found it's a little harder to stay in shape since I retired, and I can't ride all day like I used to, but then the tourists start getting in the way around noon anyway. When I first started snowboarding, there was a guy in his late 70's that rode a snowboard, mono ski, snow snake (feet in line like a 'teleboard') and downhilled, depending on conditions and what he brought with him. Anyhow, don't worry about if you'll be able to carve at 50 but start thinking about what your going to do with your winters when your 80.

Hey Tinkerdad-- I am 58 soon and was wondering what your golf handicap is? I started this summer at a 12.3 and am now at 8.2 soon to be 7.5 I hope with the next revision.

I was down to 5.3 this summer but it's headed back up with the wet cold weather we've been having. By the NCGA guidelines, we should turn off our computer Nov 1st, but the 'old guys' (that outnumber us 'young guys) like having their handicaps go up in the winter. Theirs go up 10 strokes and the low handicapers go up 3 or 4 so they get to kick our butts for a few months in the spring until things catch back up.

Originally posted by trikerdad

I was down to 5.3 this summer but it's headed back up with the wet cold weather we've been having. By the NCGA guidelines, we should turn off our computer Nov 1st, but the 'old guys' (that outnumber us 'young guys) like having their handicaps go up in the winter. Theirs go up 10 strokes and the low handicapers go up 3 or 4 so they get to kick our butts for a few months in the spring until things catch back up.

Congrats on the 5.3. We turn off our GHIN computers come Nov 15th.