Note to New Members ×

Vintage Burton Board - Backyard

osideburtonboard

this board was given to me as a gift in 1983 (not 1981 as i'd originally thought) when i was 12 years old... i am now 39.

it came from a store in pennsylvania called "country outfitters" which was basically a clothing store that had patagonia fleeces right when they started becoming popular. there was a rack in the back with like 4 boards on it and this was one of them.

it has never been used -- not even once -- and has spent the last 27 years wrapped in a bedsheet, stored in a closet.

last month i was at june mountain in the eastern sierras and saw a similar board hanging on the wall at a ski shop. the owner of the shop told me he had just paid $5K for it on eBay. i have since seen them listed for as high as $8K, or more.

alright, Alright...

y'all stop driving up the price if you're not buying :boxing_sm

$40 shipped . . . final offer :lurk:

all kidding aside, If I had it and anyone offered more then a couple hundred $'s, that bitch would be on the next FedEx truck to roll out.

Is it worth Thousands...

I think it would diffenitly take "the-right-buyer" to fetch anything near that because that's just stupid money right there.

i'm inclined to agree that spending $$$$ on a snowboard is crazy, so i'm not gonna get all starry-eyed...

and as several people have noted, this story sounds like some sort of internet scam anyway -- too good to be true -- so it won't surprise me if it doesn't amount to anything.

i had no idea the board had any value in the first place so it's $$ i don't miss. might just have to put it back in the closet for another 20 years and let the grand kids fight over it.

--pete

pete, may want to put a note on it (just in case) or they'll probably "just throw the ole junker out"! When my Grandmother passed Mom said go over and clean out the attic. We threw everything out (except what 'we' thought was good) the Auctioneer said we threw all of the Good Stuff out :freak3::confused:...

As the years go by I continue to be amazed by what NOS boards show up.

I have seen dozens of NOS boards in the early 80s. Twist of fate in many cases. Bought one board from a guy that his Dad took him to a skate store in LA on his birthday, bought an 84 Performer. :1luvu: His Dad lost his job and the family ended up moving to Louisiana!! It sat NIB for 26 years. His wife kept telling him to throw it out. :eek: He contacted me and I made him VERY happy he had not thrown it out!!:biggthump

Recently bought a collection of over 30 boards that included a number of NOS boards in it. Most were early 90s.

I'm with the others on this...I think it is worth what the highest bidder is willing to pay for it. While I personally wouldn't pay $8000 for ANY board, price is relative to one's desire for the object. #266 is a low number, and the fact that it must be in excellent condition is a BIG plus. I don't think these boards ever came in a box, so you don't have to worry about the NIB status. I'd imagine that because it was a gift, any price stickers were taken off...they'd add value to it, too. I am not sure if TransWorld Snowboard magazine has a classified ad section, put an ad in there, if they do. Or you can see if their website has a classified section. And, as others had mentioned, try eBay...but you'd need to derive some estimate of worth to put a reserve on it, first. Definitely DON'T list it "No-Reserve"...some bloke might get it for $6.85 that way!!

Good luck with it. How come you never rode it?

I just checked eBay for Burton Backyards. There are two at auction presently. 1) a 1979 model, looks to have been used a LOT. Suggested price $8000. 0 bids yet. 2) 1981 model...MINT condition. Similar in shape to yours. Very low serial #39. looks to have been initialed by Jake himself. JBC. This one has a "Buy It Now" price of $10,000. Also 0 bids so far.

I checked completed listings: Only one shows up as a recent sale...final price was $2125 with 10 bids. No mention about reserve on this particular auction, so it may have had a low reserve price. Also, since it is no longer on the system, I can't see a decent photo of it...so don't know how it compares to yours in shape.

I wouldn't sell that board to ANYONE until you determine an approximate value. You might want to contact Burton in Vermont...they may be able to steer you in a good direction as far as value if you explain what you have. Being in unused, excellent condition makes a HUGE difference, so it may be worth a bundle. Anyway, you have a find!

I'm still sorry my mom gave away all the "boxed" GI-Joes and boxed Planet of the Apes figures to the Salvation Army, that me and my brother had stored and then forgotten in the attic. The boxes were all MINT and were apparently worth more than some of the figures. Someone at SallyAnn made some money that day!

just want to say thanks to all for the guidance. i knew i had something of value on my hands, but without all of your help this board would have wound-up in the church rummage sale one day...

this has been an eye-opening experience to say the least, and i'm thankful that it's centered around a snowboard instead of some ming vase or whatever. in general, the level of responses from the snowboarding community have been very helpful and positive... although there have been a few predators along the way -- and many more people wary that i was the scammer (which was a surprise, but understandable!)!

as it turns out, an old friend of mine now works for the burton company. he has known me since we were children and in fact was around when i got that board... hopefully he will be able to shed some ligt on it's true value. after all, there may be other burton backyards out in the world, and some of them older than mine, but one in unridden condition is rare (sad???) indeed.

many thanks,

--pete