Note to New Members ×

First Day!

sxybst90

<!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->i just hit the slopes for the first time with my 185 donek FC metal i just got.

thinking "its still a snowboard, how bad can it be?" after falling on my ass for about 6-7times.. i missed my freestyle A LOT!! but than again the attentions i was getting with this board was incredible:eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2: worth all the scratches and bruises i got.

well i just had a lot of toeside carve issues.. too scared to put my ass down that is 10ft up in the air. haha

hitting the slope again tomoro!

if there is any practice drills i should do lemme know!! and what would be a good size hill to practice them?

PS. i have 0 and 6 degree TD2s. not really sure how i should utilize this.. i read all the articles and everything still cant figure it out... :angryfire

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

Good hill for you locally would be Pine Knob's "Quarter Mile". Straight fall line. Sat will be a bit busy but 9:00 a.m. Sunday should be wide open at least for the first hour. I may be out there, but if so on skis :-(

Shot me an e-mail and I can arrange to give you some solid pointers.

GREAT , keep at it :biggthump.

Here is a suggestion from a NuB myself ( only 11 full days/sessions on hard boots & long board ) > Be picky about the snow & groom conditions, when it gets beat up by skiers or super icy Your learning curve could go flat and then it turns into a survival ride to try and carve, when it gets cruddy then stay sharp and be fresh or stop and wait till the slope zamboni makes another run before you start the "mean lean on the leaning machine".

Peace:)

GREAT , keep at it :biggthump.

Here is a suggestion from a NuB myself ( only 11 full days/sessions on hard boots & long board ) > Be picky about the snow & groom conditions, when it gets beat up by skiers or super icy Your learning curve could go flat and then it turns into a survival ride to try and carve, when it gets cruddy then stay sharp and be fresh or stop and wait till the slope zamboni makes another run before you start the "mean lean on the leaning machine".

Peace:)

Not to go against your judgement, because it is a good call, but seeing that he has metal board, he probably wont need to be too picky (especially if it's a new donek metal). but yeah, be at least aware or the groom.

Snowrider: i wish your signature was a sicker.

Not to go against your judgement, because it is a good call, but seeing that he has metal board, he probably wont need to be too picky (especially if it's a new donek metal). but yeah, be at least aware or the groom.

I will second Steve's advice. A good quality board helps smooth things out, but it does not make you super human. Especially when you are starting on a 185. :eek:

I am not saying it cannot be done, but you will be much more limited by conditions and crowds.

I will second Steve's advice. A good quality board helps smooth things out, but it does not make you super human. Especially when you are starting on a 185. :eek:

I am not saying it cannot be done, but you will be much more limited by conditions and crowds.

i'm not saying he can go through rutted up icy crud but i was say that he's not exactly limited to fresh groomer. I think simply be aware of the conditions he's riding would be most important. Like i said, don't disagree with steve.

but yeah, i should've been more clear

i'm not saying he can go through rutted up icy crud but i was say that he's not exactly limited to fresh groomer. I think simply be aware of the conditions he's riding would be most important. Like i said, don't disagree with steve.

but yeah, i should've been more clear

When I read it again, you are right about not disagreeing with Steve. I guess I just got fixated on sxybst90 starting on a 185 in Michigan.

Stay on the mellow, wide, and uncrowded runs and you should be good sxybst90. Big boards get going fast quick with those big radius turns.

Congratulations on making it through your first day! :biggthump You will likely always remember it.

It's not whether your local hill is ideal for alpine boarding. It's that you're trying to learn on a 185cm board.

I'm sure it's possible, but that seems ludicrous to me. That's a GS-length board with a largish sidecut. It's designed for someone who wants to ride fast and make big turns. It's simply not a "beginner's board."

greg