Note to New Members ×

Be nice to me, I am new

Bora20

Hi All!

I am new to the hard-boot world, but love to carve on my current soft-boot setup. I don't play in the part and hate riding fakie. I think that hard-boots are my calling and I am trying to get into it.

I am 5'9, 215lbs, size 9 street shoes, so I think I need to look at some decent gear so I don't overpower it.

I just purchased a Zeena X11 159 as my starter, beginner board which I think will be much too short in the future, but should be fine for now.

I am searching for some boots, which I am trying to figure out sizing on. Not too sure on that and think I might go try on some ski boots to try and help with that.

I am pretty sure that metal bindings will be the only way to go. Step-ins or regular don't really matter to me as either will be much easier that my soft-boot bindings. I used to have soft step-ins, which I loved, but then the industry moved on.

Anyway, thanks for all the info on this site and I hope to see a couple of you out there on the slopes!

Welcome aboard! Great place to get any info you want or need for hardboot riding. I would get the fitting boots you can find and a good set of moldable liners. Will make riding a lot easier and more comfortable. Nothing worse than ill fitting boots to get started on. Will make for a painful bad experience :smashfrea

You can certainly get some ski boots as a start. You are probably Mondo 27 or 27.5. I ordered snowboard boots from this site and I wished I could ski with them because my Deeluxe boots are far more comfortable than my Solomon boots-I really like the cuff cant adjustment on the Deeluxe, you ask ski shop people about cuff cant adjustment and they look at ya kinda funny. I ordered Cateks at one time but I was actually more comfortable with the Raichle X-bones I got from here as well. I rode mostly freeride when I was riding hardboots. In a slightly duck stance, too (old knee injury).

So, in a nutshell, I would try a couple of different brands of ski boots to confirm your size and then order some Deeluxes....:D

I got my stuff a few years ago. I have no idea if the X-bones are still being sold....

Welcome.....don't worry, this is not a "flame heavy" site....

I just tried on some Atomic 27.5 ski boots and they fit, maybe just a little too large in the toes as I couldn't quite feel the front. So I think that 27 boots would probably be the way to go. Now to find some used ones or go new...????

I was also wondering if I should also try riding the hard boots on my current Ride Antic 160 board, but it might have to much flex.

http://ridesnowboards.com/boards/antic

Bora20 - Welcome to the site. I see you are from Kamloops. A former client of mine played lots of hockey there for the town's team and they later renamed the street outside the arena to honor him after he won a Stanley Cup. Maybe one day I'll get up that way to tour the town.

Bora20 - Welcome to the site. I see you are from Kamloops. A former client of mine played lots of hockey there for the town's team and they later renamed the street outside the arena to honor him after he won a Stanley Cup. Maybe one day I'll get up that way to tour the town.

If you mean Mark Recchi, his summer townhouse it #6 in my complex, I am #4. My wife went to highschool with him.

As for the search, I am using it extensively...this is not my first time to a forum, but I am super excited and might be carving (properly) by next weekend if I am lucky.

:biggthump

Ok, so I just bought some NOS Burton Wind 27s from NoSlide and now need bindings to go with them.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cassified section. "For Sale" . Lots of bindings for 100-200$ , try to find some in Canada and save on shipping.

Hook up with local riders for sure!!!

I just tried on some Atomic 27.5 ski boots and they fit, maybe just a little too large in the toes as I couldn't quite feel the front. So I think that 27 boots would probably be the way to go. Now to find some used ones or go new...????

I was also wondering if I should also try riding the hard boots on my current Ride Antic 160 board, but it might have to much flex.

http://ridesnowboards.com/boards/antic

It is likely that the 27.5 ski boot is the same size shell as a 27. The difference is the thickness of the liners. When the liners pack in, there will very little difference in fit. It's the shell size, without the liner in, that really counts.

BobD

As for the search, I am using it extensively...this is not my first time to a forum, but I am super excited and might be carving (properly) by next weekend if I am lucky.

:biggthump

Excellent, good to hear. Definitely hook up with a experienced carver in your area. They can get you up to speed FAST.

Good to hear about another BC carver!

Nice find on Xeena, they are pretty rare. It is a very unusual board... 14m side cut radius (SCR) on 159 board. It will be very soft for you at 215lbs.

Hey, if you wandered what's under that bikini sticker, I can send you a pic off-line :D

If the 27.5 boots are a bit big when new, they will be way to big when packed. My bet is that you need 26.5... Measure the length of your bare foot in cm - that's the mondo size of the boot you need. Some people even downsize from there.

If you mean Mark Recchi, his summer townhouse it #6 in my complex, I am #4. My wife went to highschool with him.

Yep, the one and only. Super guy that words don't even come close to describing. Glad you know him and his family. I kept in touch with him for a spell after he was traded from the Penguins to Thrashers then I didn't want to keep bothering him since he wasn't around here very much.

Here is a pic of my wife when she met former Penguins players Darryl Sydor and Mark Recchi. Sydor also played for Kamloops when he was there. Kudos to Canada Hockey winning the gold since Mark also played on their Olympic team previously.

post-8899-14184230564_thumb.jpg