Note to New Members ×

Funny lodge story.

photodad2001

On one of those "got called off work so going to the hill by myself" outings, I overheard a hillarious conversation between 2 guys about sidecut radius at the bar in the lodge. These guys had been sitting at the bar drinking before I even came in. I walked up to the bar and ordered a half pizza and a large sierra mist and sat a couple stools down. Before my pizza arrived, one of the guys asked the other what the difference was between their boards. Once I realized one was on a hard boot set up and the other on soft I started paying close attention to their conversation. When it got to the sidecut radius the one guy didn't understand. After a few technical tries the hardbooter tried a comparison approach...

Hardbooter: "You see, it's kinda like nail clippers. Your board is like fingernail clippers while mine is like toenail clippers."

[At this point I angle my stool 45 degrees toward the conversation]

Hardbooter: "Fingernail clippers are designed to cut around smaller, tighter curves while toenail clippers are designed to cut around bigger curves."

Softbooter: "So you make bigger turns?"

Hardbooter: "Yeah, but you have to go faster to make bigger turns, that's why they make them with bigger sidecuts, so you can go faster."

Softbooter: "I can make fast turns."

Hardbooter: "But you aren't carving."

Softbooter: "Yes I am."

[Pause while the hardbooter goes for his beer. Either he was thristy or was stalling for time to think of an easy way to break the bad news to his friend.]

Hardbooter: "When we go back out I'll show you what I mean."

THE END

Disclaimer: If anyone on here was part of this conversation and reads this yes, that was me by myself to your left and sorry, I couldn't let this go unmentioned on here.:biggthump

Yep, that wasn't you was it?:eek:

Not me, but I've been there quite a few times and had to wager a guess. Just as I'm giving the hardbooter the benifit of doubt thinking his words were chosen so as not to furtehr confuse his softbooted brothern :lol

I NEVER saw a hardbooter there. Heck, I rarely see another hardbooter Anywhere. Come to think of it, I haven't seen another hardbooter yet this season :confused:

Not me, but I've been there quite a few times and had to wager a guess. Just as I'm giving the hardbooter the benifit of doubt thinking his words were chosen so as not to furtehr confuse his softbooted brothern :lol

I NEVER saw a hardbooter there. Heck, I rarely see another hardbooter Anywhere. Come to think of it, I haven't seen another hardbooter yet this season :confused:

I don't know if I'm just going at the right times or what, but this year I can bank on seeing 2 or 3.:biggthump 2 of the instructors carve, one on hardboots and another on a Donek Razor with softboots. I've seen RTs, several Burton Primes and Alps, couple of Rossis.... It's definatley picked up over the last couple years.

I'm assuming you mean holidays as in next season?

Yes, that's it. I make it through Findlay, OH every year as part of our "Winter-Tour" when we go out on the road visiting family and friends over Christmas and New Years.

This past trip I ended up going down to MRM by myself because my regular local riding buddy had to work and no one else wanted to go :freak3: