Note to New Members ×

Powder Mountain, Utah

egibbons

The other day I got off from school/work early. I had the evening to kill, so I figured I ought to visit my routes and see how Powder Mountain night skiing has evolved in the last 10 years. Well, to nobody's surprise it was pretty much the same, down to the McDonalds style tables in the lodge.

However, what did surprise me was the snow and grooming quality. Even at 4PM, there was still fresh corduroy on Kwik Draw. I appreciated the fact that the run was steep and maintained a good grade all the way to the bottom, unlike most of the runs at PC-area resorts where you ride on flat until a bit of drop and then more flat until the bottom of the lift (Silver Queen, most of the stuff off of King Con, Tycoon, etc.) I had a ball, and as I have thought about it, I wonder what the rest of the mountain is like.

Does anybody carve there? I asked the lifties if they ever see anyone go through on an alpine rig, and they said it is few and far between. If anyone does ride there, is the rest of the mountain suitable for carving, and what is the grooming like? One more, I know the mountain is pretty empty in comparison to PC, but are there enough good carving runs to spread the few people out?

I will likely buy a day pass and see what the rest of the mountain is like during my spring break (cheap midweek passes for locals), but I was just wondering what everyone's consensus is.

Or is Snowbasin a better choice? I just figure that I am sick of the 1hr+ drive to PC when Snowbasin is 30 minutes from my home and Powder is 47 minutes. Plus, after 7 years at PC, I am thinking of changing it up. Nothing against PC and the ski-tourism in industry in Utah. The taxes generated from that revenue keeps the state alive and pays for my tuition...

Still, Monday's excursion was the best $15 I spent all season.

Kwik Draw is the steepest groomed run at PM and Winchester is also fun, but really tight with Aspen trunks. Sidewinder on the Timberline lift is another fun run. White Pine off Hidden Lakes is good as well, though it has some long flat sections. As you know, all the steeper sections / runs are pretty short. SB is much better for long runs and steep pitches. There is a $33 day pass to only ride the Sundown Lift, otherwise you have the $45 mid week locals pass.

The snow is softer at PM than SB.

Crowds are pretty much non existent when carving at PM. Especially on the slow lifts. Even the runs on Hidden Lakes are empty. SB will have a lot more riders and a lot more high speed skiers, some are really good, some are not.

We typically ride daily at PM with occasional days at SB. Let us know if you are coming up.

Buell

Thanks for the reply. My concern with the Basin is the stupid snowmakers that seem to run down the middle of every groomed run. Do they take those down in the season when they have enough snow? or do they stay up perpetually? That is probably my big concern with the Basin.

How many guys go up to Powder regularly anyway? more than the Basin?

Thanks for the reply. My concern with the Basin is the stupid snowmakers that seem to run down the middle of every groomed run. Do they take those down in the season when they have enough snow? or do they stay up perpetually? That is probably my big concern with the Basin.

How many guys go up to Powder regularly anyway? more than the Basin?

Yep, pretty crappy for a carver. I have never seen them taken down.

I don't really know how many carvers are at SB. I think there are several, but I don't ride there very much and haven't seen them.

At PM, there are about 4-6 regular hardbooters of different abilities. We get traveling hardbooters as well. Often besides Rebecca and myself, there will be one or two others around. Rebecca and I also ride splitboards though, so we are not always carving on good groomer days. Today was fun carving, even with the flat light.

couple of us are going to be at snowbasin riding sat, sun and monday--never been there before. where should we carve on that mountain?

Depends on your ability. If you ride up the Strawberry Gondola you can see runs you will want to ride.

There are a couple of main routes down from Needles Gondola, including one that passes right under the gondola most of the way. Wildcat Bowl is a great run.

John Paul lift has the steep Wildflower bowl.

If it gets too crowded, you can carve off the slow Porcupine Chair or seek out Willow Springs off the Becker Chair.

Thanks for all the insight! Love to ride with other people--skully,tille, bordy somebody.

Hey Jonny! Long time, no post eh?

I'm working all weekend, so Snowbasin isn't a possibilty, but if you get down near Park City, let me know....

Not sure about Bordy and Tille, you may want to post something over on the HB forum and they may see it there.....

couple of us are going to be at snowbasin riding sat, sun and monday--never been there before. where should we carve on that mountain?

Wildcat bowl.

Wildflower dh course was groomed the other day too and has some fineness to it.

The rest you should be able to figure out. Wildcat is a little challenge to find the top of. Worth it though. So worth it, if the groom is on.

You been up here this winter? I been on injured reserve since New Years Eve.

Ready to try this weekend to see if I can teach next week.

Wildcat bowl.

You been up here this winter? I been on injured reserve since New Years Eve.

Ready to try this weekend to see if I can teach next week.

I have about 7 epic days on baldy this winter--nothing but chalk!

i'll be up again during the first few weeks of march--i'll let you know when we will be there.

Good luck with the injuries this weekend.