Note to New Members ×

Want to join Ski Patrol?

Terryw

For any of you that are interested in joining Ski Patrol, there is a "ski with the patrol for a day" ride date coming up on March 13. You get a free ski pass for the day, and you can check out what the patrol does. Pretty fun, and you get lunch too! If you are interested, space is limited, so contact the coordinator Krista Fisher at:

714 397-4515

Benefits include a season pass for you and your family, 40 - 50% off pro deals for equipment, first tracks on pristine cord ...............

If you are planning on going please go to : http://www.bbvnsp.org

and fill out an application.

Yes it is for next season. You have to begin the training in the late summer with the OEC class. That is the outdoor emergency care class. You could challenge this curse if you are all ready an EMT, nurse, or doctor. This usually completes in late October or early November. That is when the on hill training begins. Starting in November, there will be training every other weekend that will last into March. It is a big commitment the first year for training. Summit does a lot of training, and is recognized as one of the best patrols in the country.

After the first year, your ongoing commitment is 14 days of patrolling per year. Much easier!

You are welcome. The more the merrier! We need more carvers in the patrol to represent. Besides, I need some bros who appreciate the fresh cord with no tracks on it, and no one to have to watch out for! :eplus2:

If you are really serious we should get together, and I can show the skills they will test you on before they will let you train for the toboggan. You have to be what our ski school calls a level 3 snowboarder to start that training. Nothing you guys couldn't handle, I'm sure.

My understanding is this is not the PSIA level rating. It is a mountain specific test to determine if you have the necessary skill set to begin training for the toboggan. It is administered by the ski school instructors, not the ski patrol. You have to demonstrate the basic skills (side slip, falling leaf, hockey stop, small radius turns, medium radius turns), as well as the slightly more difficult skills of spinning 360's on the snow in both directions, and a little switch ridding on the easy terrain. You should also be comfortable and in control on slopes up to a single black diamond. I believe level 4 involves double black diamonds and an emphasis on carving ;). The idea being that they don't want you to kill your self the first time you get a sled behind you. I can tell you that it is quite a rush the first time you point your board straight down the fall line and that sled starts to push you to much higher speeds. Totally cool :biggthump. For those that know our hill, the test was administered on Miracle Mile. I did not find it to be difficult, until I had to ride switch and spin :eek:. I believe that they were also looking at how comfortable you were in general. You should be able to look around you and spot trouble with out having to stop. In other words, you should be able to divide your attention between what you are doing, and what every one else around you is doing also, all while not tripping over your own edge! Every day stuff for most of us carvers. That is why I would love to see more carvers in the patrol. I think we make great patrollers. I can tell you we definitely have an advantage holding back the sled with a hard boot setup and a long stiff running edge.