Note to New Members ×

Dalbello Krypton

jburrill

Just got some Dalbello Krypton Cross boots. They fit and worked great right off the shelf. Used them with sidewinders and a Donek 182. I like them so far but of course would like to start the tweaking and dialing in process. Does anybody have any suggestions or general info on modifying skiboots to raceboard application? Thanks

They fit and worked great right off the shelf. Used them with sidewinders and a Donek 182. I like them so far but of course would like to start the tweaking and dialing in process.

1. Where would you like to go with this boot.

2. What do you want this boot to do, that your previous boot does not do.

3. What do you like about the Kryptons at present.

4. What do you not like about the Kryptons at present.

5. What compromises, if any, are you willing to accept.

6. How much time to you have to devote to the project, and what resources do you have to facilitate modifications.

Understand that your present 'technique' may or may not be compatible with a ski boot.

Thanks for responding Beckmann. Katie Casey tells me that you are the resident carver/boot guru at Sugarloaf. Ive had my current Deluxe Indy orange model for a few yrs now and would like something new.

I like the design of Kryptons. Other racers are using them. I used to ride with flexon comps and liked them. These boots fit my feet/legs perfectly and feel great on the board. No complaints for my rear foot. My front foot seems to need some adjustment. Maybe a little too stiff but not by much. The flex rating on these boots is adjustable (90-120) with the adjuster clip. I took the clip right out so the flex has to be less than 90. My riding seemed to improve with these boots. A more relaxed stance, and upright powerfull turns. Since these do not flex rearward as much as Indy's, my front knee could feel the stress. I would like to perhaps soften these just a bit. So, I would like to increase rearward/lateral flex just a little. Could be as simple as the softer toungue rearward cant disk and minor tweaking. But, maybe you know of some other tricks to try. Thanks .

Since these do not flex rearward as much as Indy's, my front knee could feel the stress.

That being the case, you will want to take another look at your front binding setup, the ramp angle in the boot, and the forward lean of the boot. These variables may overlap a bit, so you need to be methodical in evaluation.

Don't ignore this issue. I have seen more than one athlete taken out due to front leg tissue issues that were directly related to boot/binding dissonance.

Generally speaking, backward flex in a hardboot is not particularly desireable.

There is a relationship between the knee joint and ankle/foot that should be maintained for optimal load bearing and agility; allowing the front boot to flex rearward may compromise this relationship.

Lateral flex modification may not be necessary once the binding tilt/lift/cant has been optimised.

If you want my setup guidelines, send me your email.

If the Krypton is a very close match to the contours of your foot, you can improve snowfeel by using the lace up liner from a pair of Nordica, Tecnica, or Fischer plug boots.

A quality footbed is also a good idea.

Snowfeel translates to reaction time, so if you are trying to go fast, you should collect all the 'free' performance enhancements available.

If you are working with Katie on this project, perhaps the two of you should come up here some time, and we can have a discussion on the topic of going fast on a snowboard. Our philosophies may differ in some areas, and I do not want to make suggestions to you that would be in conflict with her advice.

I've been riding a pair as well for the past few weeks, and also found that my leg muscles above the front knee experience a lot more fatigue than I'm normally used to seeing.

I tried adding a little more toe lift to compensate, but perhaps it's also just that I'm getting more and more out of shape in general :cool:

But on that note: the middle cable on one of the boots was worn when I received them, and busted on me last week.

Apparently in Canada Dalbello has switched distributors several times and has just done so again, to Volkl. Well all their store dealers have no idea what's going on, so when I phone them up looking for parts they are phoning the old distributor, only to be told that company no longer deals with Dalbello. All the spare parts were in transit to Volkl, who has no idea what's in any of these boxes or even what the parts really are. So now Volkl finally has a bunch of boxes of Dalbello parts that they haven't even opened yet, so some dude has to sort through it all and figure out what they've been sent.

So in the meantime I'm left with a broken boot, and the "hope" that they'll find my cable and send it out to me. Grrr.

:angryfire

greg

perhaps it's also just that I'm getting more and more out of shape in general

Use your present lack of fitness as an asset in determining boot/binding configuration, rather than as a catch-all for undesirable outcomes.

You should not need a whole lot of muscle to ride well, when all is as it should be.

the middle cable on one of the boots was worn when I received them, and busted on me last week.

Most hardware stores have wire nuts and aluminum cable swages that may work for the short term, if the cable snapped mid-run, and not at a terminal point. If the cable is plain steel, you could painstakingly clean the strands, then braze or solder repair as well. You might even get away with using a common crimp-type electrical butt connector.

We sell both the Krypton and the Full Tilt line although we sold out of the latter. I'm not sure that parts are interchangeable. Full Tilt does sell a parts kit that includes the cables you're looking for. We have one of the kits in stock.

Don't mean to threadjack here, but Pat, have you ridden the Il Moro "T" Custom ID Rasta boot? How was stiffness compared to the rest of the Dalbello line?

Yes, didn't mean to threadjack as well. I've currently got a few dealers saying they should be able to get me the buckles, but I get the feeling I now know more about it than they do. If the distributor doesn't even have any, how are they expecting to get some?

As to the OP: what sort of bindings do you use? I feel these boots are a lot stiffer laterally than Raichle/Deeluxe boots that I've been on. I'm not sure about the Cross model, but I think these would be tough to ride with Catek or Bomber bindings (although not sure about the Sidewinder as I've never tried it), since those have a stiffer interface. I ride with F2 Titaniums and that binding has a lot of flex, which really helps me at least.

The guy I got these boots off does do some racing, so mine came with some modifications you could try. Specifically, the bottom of Krypton Pro boots are the same material as the shell. Mine have Vibram soles added on for dampening, and it really seems to work well. The toe (and possibly heel?) pieces have also been ground/shaved to better fit the shape of the F2 binding attachment.

Enjoy it!

greg

Don't mean to threadjack here, but Pat, have you ridden the Il Moro "T" Custom ID Rasta boot? How was stiffness compared to the rest of the Dalbello line?
We sell then but I haven't tried them.

I need a pair of boots for work (NASTAR Pacesetter at Okemo). the heels on my old Technica Icons are so worn they don't fit properly in my Atomic bindings. I keep my Head Statos Pros and my board in the start shack but it's a pain to switch boots and back again when I need to take down the courses. I've given thought to getting a pair of Kryptons that I could use for both skis and board but I wonder if they'll have too much forward flex for ski racing. I also have a pair of Lange WC plug boots for most of my racing but for pacesetting on weekends I wonder if I could get away with Kryptons. Any thoughts?

This is just one of the benefits of using a ski boot for hardbooting.

This is one way to increase, rather than decrease, reaction time.

The only two Krypton Pros I've seen used by alpine racers have some sort of rubber dampening pad added to the bottom of the boot. I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence, and I don't know if anyone else has been doing that, but there must be some benefit to the dampening if these professional racers are doing it, no?

greg

The only two Krypton Pros I've seen used by alpine racers have some sort of rubber dampening pad added to the bottom of the boot. I'm not sure if that was just a coincidence, and I don't know if anyone else has been doing that, but there must be some benefit to the dampening if these professional racers are doing it, no?

There may well be some benefit to such pads, be it actual, or merely perceived. Sometimes, one is as good as the other...

The point is, a heightened sense of touch, via enhanced contact between you and the area of effect can be equated to 'free speed', in that accurate movements interfere with glide, etc., to a lesser extent than inaccurate movements. Generally speaking, accurate movements require a light, not heavy, 'hand'.

E.g., one tends not to swat flies with a framing hammer.

Our ability to remain 'upright' in our activity of choice is also dependent upon our sense of touch; interfere with the feedback loop between foot and brain, and reaction to an ever-changing surface slows perceptibly. Particularly when the visual reference point is compromised, as when the light goes flat, or you move from light into shadow.

Muscle tension is also directly related to how 'stable' we are on our feet. Again, a compromised connection between brain and surface creates some degree of 'uncertainty' which in turn, leads to tension. This effect is a bit like using an overly-heavy weight of oil in the front end of your MX bike.

Softboots are to dial-up, as hardboots with rubber sole blocks are to DSL, as ski boots (assuming a monolithic sole structure, and quality plastic), are to broadband.

Or something like that.

'Acoustic transparency' for lack of a better term, should be taken seriously by those who go fast, or wish to go faster.

greg

The pad is there to take up the space that is created when you use f2 binders with the boot. and since you need to place it on the back heel then you need one on the frount block to stay level.

remember its a ski boot first, Many of the powerful racers using this boot had ankle fractors under or at the cuff of the boot.

Do you mean ankle fractures like broken ankles or cracked boots? What is your verdict on using this type of boot for racing? I notice Matt Morrison and Mike Lambert use Dalbello and Full Tilt boots. These guys are doing quite well this season. I think Anton still uses Flexon Comp boots as well.