Note to New Members ×

? > 90, 89 or 88 degree edge for the newB

SteveInOregon

So I have 90 degree edge ( pro shop tune ) on my old Morrow 176 all mountain free ride with my 2nd hand hard plate & boot setup.

I read some were about better carve hold / edge with a couple degrees less, such as 88.

Question: Looking back in Your 1st season of hard booting, do You think that would that be a waist of time or yes go with 89 or 88 ?

Do You think in general that it would be a good idea ?

My new ( old ) board is coming ( 185 Oxygen pure carve )

Is that enough info to get a reply about 90 , 89 or 88 ?

PS: a picture of my 176 is on my profile

Your input / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

There's a big difference in feel and edge hold between 90 and 88. I always went 90 in the 1st few years until I tried Dave*'s 88 tuned board... Especially on hard pack.

Also, once you set at 88 and beat up the edges a bit, you can start fine-tuning down towards 89 and then 90, to make them last longer. If you are already at 90, there is nothing you can do but file entire edge to get the ding out...

Steve, be sure to let me know how the new old board works out.

regarding edges the board is already tuned to 1 ish base and 2-3 ish side (note that you subtract the 1 from the base to get the 88-89 of the actual edge).

in other words go ride the stink out of it and just follow the current edge for the rest of the season, when you put it away for the season you may want to play with angles or maybe not.

The reason for ish is because I filed the edges by hand using tape build up for both base and edges.