Note to New Members ×

Off season training

Noah

Hi all,

In the off season off snow train time. Does anyone have any suggestions? I trail and rock run, mountain bike and go to the gym (maybe not as regularly as I should but a few days a week as work permits). But even that being said I just don't feel like I am at the same place as the previous season.

One thing is the altitude I go from usually Vail area to sea level and then back. Are there any tips in concentrating on the muscle groups that are used in alpine riding?

Thanks for your time!

Also if someone were looking for race coaching in Vail any suggestions? My good friend Jeff Smith is also checking around but I would like to help out in the search as well. Thanks again

Go fast!

Hate to sound corny with canned workouts, but I completed P90X and Insanity workout programs since April of 2009.

Highlights of those programs

P90X (90 days- April thru July)

• Lost 45 lbs of fat (started at 215lb)
  • Added 15 lbs mucle (hovered at 184 lb)
  • 22% body fast to ~7%
  • 28 second wall sit to nearly 4 minutes
  • 2 pull ups to 30+ pullups
  • It built my confidence to maintain my health at 40 and has been a solid foundation being athletic again

Insanity (60 days- Nov and Dec)

• Started at 184, currently about 179, but lost some muscle from P90 , but became much more agile and lean
  • Month 1 is 45 minutes of jump training (plyo), 5-6 days per week with recovery days)
  • Month 2 is 60 minutes of varied plyo, more intense and longer 5-6 days per week with recovery

I feel like I have legs and lungs of Lance.

Best shape I have been in since 19 yrs old and my riding has benefited exponentially. I'm not winded during runs or at the end of runs, I make less stops down the hill, I can control and more precisely maneuver my board under me and make it a part of me rather than being a big ole potato sack bumbling down the hill.

Here is the thread I posted on it.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25985&highlight=p90x

It changed my life and improved how I ride.

If you need a program that is canned, you can pop in for 1 hour per day and commit to those timelines of 90 and 60 days, those program are a one two punch to whip you into some pretty good shape and you can do it in the privacy of your own home as long as you can get a chin up bar and dont have downstairs neighbors. The jump training is just that and it doenst stop. These will help with overall endurance but it also help me tremendously with the micro muscle twitch for better joint movement, flexibility and strength.

Plus they give you menu books that you can still eat a great deal, just the right stuff to feed the furnace.

Drop me a Pm if you are interested in more details.

Greg

Chubz:

This program is all the rage up here with the high school athlete's. With my age hittin' 43 this year, I may need to pick this program up. I currently do 20 min. box jump sets, get-ups, and a few other misc. core exercises. Those get-ups, i feel, really strengthen the inside/outside ligaments around the knee's and obiliques. Upper body stuff as well..but, as all I want to do is carve, then it's 2/3 lower/core, 1/3 upper (focus prim. on shoulders.).

Are you going to hang on to the cd's?

There are hundreds od ways to skin the cat....

All above are great, but ONLY if you:

Do it regularly, yet mix it up.

Proper diet

Proper rest

If losing weight is the goal, diet is 75%.

If performance improvement, it generally is best to focus on the majors (core strength, endurance, flexibility and agility).

whipped me back into shape in 90 days. That being said exercise and diet are the two main factors to stay fit anyway. The plyo program in p90 x is still the one that kicks my ass.... just not as bad. IMO if anyone needs a boxed up and ready to go program this is it. BTW my son asked me why i didn't just download it. My answer to that was after i spend $130 I know i will stick with it.

.....it from my hold dead hands!"

I was always hesitant to go for one of those infomercials, but I wasnt when I saw P90 on TV. It sat on my shelf for nearly 3 years collecting dust......3 years wasted.

My wife sees a picture of me from HS and asks who it is. "Thats me!" I reply. Deb says "What would it take for you to get back in that shape?" I say "4 months and your support." "Ok, you're on!"

I started 4 days later, finished P90.

Back in shape, playing with my kids more, doing more athletic activities, enjoying being back in shape.

I love each of the programs, P90 and Insanity in their own ways. I wish I had that program when I was in HS and college. Its EZenough to use and time effcient. ITs worth the $130 to have a program you can carry with you and do in your own home, if you have the discipline. I will do some form of these until my knees go bad. Alotta Jumping. Insanity warmup is worse than the worst part of P90 Plyo. It makes oneself "wirey".

Many things resulted, this 40 olds get his life back and get active again. and just on Monday I did the longest, steepest hardboot run of my 8 years of riding on White Heat, Sunday River, ME. By the time I was 30 plus meaty carves down this puppy and finished out the run, I had a good pant going but nothing chest popping.

For convenience in time and location(1 hour at home, 6 days per week), limited equipment needed and relearning how to eat healthier.

Cant be beat.

Hot beans, I would be interested to see if anyone is tracking the sports team performance before and after P90. Not just by record but also the atheles personal performance. Strength, agility, balance, endurance, etc.

It should be done