Note to New Members ×

Need Some Help From The Utah People

Marker

I have a week to burn in Utah this February. I would like to get a taste of a few different places, but I have no idea how far apart the resorts are. Is there a small town that is central to most of the resorts, or should I just pick one and use that as a hub?

I would like to get to Solitude, Powder Mountain, Snowbird, but I am not limited to those choices. However, I don't want to start a thread about XYZ resort being better than ABC. My real concern is staying someplace the will give me good access to most of the choices.

Thanks.

Ski or board? Two remaining holdouts for skiing only are Alta & Deer Valley. Plenty of other great places to ride and all within an hours drive (or less) from Midvale.

We have stayed several times at Homewood Suites in Midvale. Virtually the same road that leads up Big Cotton Wood Canyon, home of Solitude & Brigthon. Plenty of places to eat nearby too.

Suggest requesting a brochure from www.skiutah.com

Enjoy!

Well, that shows you how naive I was, I thought boards were permitted everywhere. I will definitely be on a board. Actually, I will have two boards, my all mountain and my soon to be had freecarve.

I thought about staying in Salt Lake City, but I don't think I want to be that far away from the action. I don't need a night life, just a nice place that will serve as a good home base that won't break the bank too hard. Thanks for the Midvale tip, I'll check that out.

I did check out the SkiUtah website before I started this thread, but I couldn't find a place that wasn't exclusively affiliated with one particular hill. Is there are section for general lodging that I missed?

If you want to stay at a place that is affiliated with one or more resorts, then Park City is the answer. If you want to save some money and get to many resorts in the same amount of driving time, Midvale (which is in the Salt Lake Valley) is a good choice because you can get to Park City, Big Cottonwood Canyon, and Little Cotton Canyon resorts in about 20-30 minutes. I assure you of this because I live a little east of Midvale and enjoy this benefit.

Powder Mountain and Snowbasin are close to Ogden but that is about an hour from the Park City and Salt Lake City area resorts.

I advise the Salt Lake area, not for the night life, but for the convience of access to most resorts and the ability to find something relatively inexpensive.

Eddie

I agree with Eddie, stay somewhere in the Salt Lake Valley, that will give you access to all of the resorts easily. I looked at skiutah.com, and it looked like there were packages under lodging that were in the valley, and included lift tickets. All of the major hotel chains have something somewhere in the valley, so it shouldn't be hard to find a place to stay. (I live in Sandy, just south of SLC, near Eddie, and ride mostly at Park City resorts.)

Good luck, let us know when you're here.

Guest Thrillkil

I live in Southern California, and I go to Brian Head a lot. Its a real small resort (no high speed quads), but its never crowded and the snow is great. Its quite remote, the nearest city of any real size is about 40 miles away in Cedar City

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. After doing some more snooping around, Midvale was looking pretty good. So that's it, I am booked for Feb 15 to Feb 20, and then it's off to the SES!!!

It's shaping up to be an epic season for me. I have already started extra snow prayer sessions, but I am having a hard time finding a virgin.

SES . . . perhaps our trenches will cross at Buttermilk. And may you find plenty of virgin corduroy in Utah.

Save a bluebird day for Snowbasin and check out the Strawberry side. When it's buffed and full on sun, it's hard to beat. If you got weather, forget it.

Other picks - Brigthon, Solitude, Powder Mountain, Park City, The Canyons.

Have not been to Brian Head or Beaver.

Brian Head: done that, been there. It was a small friendly place with a large number of boarders; I seem to remember someone saying that it was big on snowboarding. The snow conditions when I was there (November Comdex Vegas a couple of years ago) weren't that great, but the hardpack was fine. Didn't see anyone else who could hold an edge, but quite a few were interested once they saw it being done.

I'll be in SLC in December looking for those other places; thanks for the list. I've beet told to catch the bus from the city to get wherever, which seems straight forward (there's a Utah bus website somewhere)...