Note to New Members ×

Greetings BOL

scarfy

Hey everyone! I'm new to carving and have yet to really start doing so to any extent. Currently riding a Burton Asym Air straight out of the stone age (don't cringe too much, it was a hand-me-down and is the sole reason I even heard about alpine riding) and still soft booting it, though I'm looking to upgrade to a more appropriate board and hardboots as soon as funds allow it. I found some pretty cheap used gear on Craigslist that may suffice (any thoughts on Sims MFR or Burton Wire (both come with burton plate bindings)).

I'm currently residing about halfway between Winter Park and Granby and hit up WP and Sol Vista at least once or twice a week if anybody wants to meet up.

Anyways, I'm super excited to get out and carve some slopes. Thanks for all the communal knowledge this site contains.

Mat

Hey Mat,

Welcome to BOL... you have found the right place for all things carving :biggthump

I live near Tabernash and ride Sol V and WP often

There are three other regular carvers here and several that pop in often

We make weekly trips to Summit County as well to hook up with other carvers from around the state

You should shoot me an email

I have gear you can try out and would be stoked to ride with you!

email: ssegress at gmail dot com

Look forward to hearing from you!

It boils down to your weight, I guess...

MFR has ALMOST an all-mountain shape, with wider waist and quite a nice nose. Wire IS an all-amountain (AM) shape. However, Sims is a lot stiffer then the Wire. Longer side cut radius (SCR) too. Wire will be easier to learn on (regardless of the weight), but if you are a bigger guy, you'll be overpowering it pretty soon.

Thanks for the tips. I'd call myself average size, though I might be a bit small in actuality. 5'10" around 155 lbs.

The Sims I found is size 156, comes with riser, Alpine snowboard boots (no size or brand, I will ask about this. However, I don't yet know my boot size), Burton Race Plates all for $200.

The Burton is 162 (closer to my current board), and only comes with the Burton plate bindings, $145.