Note to New Members ×

when to start carving

Perlyshko

Hallo snowboarders!

I spent marvellous 12 days on slopes of Austria(Stubai) and Italia(Nauders, Belpiano and Hider Alm) and finally did something magnificent, unforgettable and hypnotizing. It was foggy afternoon of the last day on Belpiano, when I "turnded" different to normal ride... I felt like I could touch the slope with my hand if I had stretched it a bit further... I did not know the position of my board, but I learnt that it could hold me so much tilted into the carve...

Let me summarize the week of my rides. I started at blue track to get used to hard boots again, proceeded to red(that is better to classify as Austrian blue) and ended on the black only been forced by my husband to "try for a change". Black line did help me a lot as red one looked so flat after that. Moreover, I picked up some speed. Finally I could hunt hard-booters, carving down the slope. I kept watching, copying and training. I caught one doing unbelievably beautiful carves and asked for some hints. He kindly gave some. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I WILL NEVER FORGET! So, at the last day I did something different, something that drove my mind crazy and simultaneously drowned my heart to deep sadness as next snowboarding week is not on my horizon yet.

Here I came back to the article of Jack Michaud "Feel carve, ride the Norm". He mentioned intermediate level of snow boarding. What does it mean?

Does it mean, intermediate rider should slalom black with his eyes closed?

I was slow last season, 3 times slower than now. Nevertheless, I still have problems to do Austrian reds, especially when it is steep - my turns are shorter in its radius(pure small c) with almost horizontal to the fall-line switch-overs.

Would anyone, please, share with me that very point when to go for "carving"? What should be that very level to start learning it? Should I slalom blacks for it and conquer free riding zones? Or should reds be enough? Who are those "never-ever beginners"?

I AM looking forward to another week that I hope would happen this season to recollect that very "new" carve/turn and get to carving as a style. And if there is something from usual boarding I should learnt to start perfect carving, I would be very thankful for sharing it with me.

Hallo snowboarders!

I spent marvellous 12 days on slopes of Austria(Stubai) and Italia(Nauders, Belpiano and Hider Alm) and finally ....

Have you been there last weekend?

Because there was the Frozen-Backside carving-session in Belpiano. Do you have any news, of the hardbooters you have met?

It sounds like you're ready. If you can carve your softboot snowboard and you can change edges while the board is still pointing across the hill, you're probably ready to try hardboots.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot. I am glad to hear that. The only thing is that I have nor rider softboots for 2nd season already. I got extremely bored with it in Japan(3 years ago), so I started my European life with hardboots and alpinboard(freecarve and freeride by SG). That was the reason my first season was a real pain as the board did not want to behave as softboot's one. :D But I DID IT!

So, if I understood correct I have to slalom blacks before I go for carving. Than next time I will do my utmost to fly down all blacks on the resort.:eplus2:

Have you been there last weekend?

Because there was the Frozen-Backside carving-session in Belpiano. Do you have any news, of the hardbooters you have met?

No, I was there from 4th till 10th in January. If I knew of the event, I would have definitely planed my vocation the way to see it. May be there is some information somewhere else? I am curious. :lurk:

So, if I understood correct I have to slalom blacks before I go for carving. Than next time I will do my utmost to fly down all blacks on the resort.:eplus2:

I think your trail ratings are different than ours. You should start learning to carve on the easier trails. Not the baby hill, but the easy trails.

You should look for a well groomed, wide trail that is graded red or maybe a blue trail that is a bit steeper. What you don't want is a trail that is so flat every carve you make will kill your speed, or so narrow you can't complete your turns.

Try to get the first lift as the slopes will be empty and the grooming will be perfect, so the only thing you need to focus on is you and your board.

Thanks Pals,

I conquered another week of vocation in March and hope to recollect that fantastic feeling I had during one of my last carves. May be I would be even lucky to contemplate carvers somewhere on the slope.

By the way, what is the difference between speed carve and free carve? For carving speed is an alienable part, but there are 2 different classification of carving.

Also, I started to think about purchasing a board for piste only and sort of got lost between SG Race and SG Speed. The difference between boards is in Nose and Tale width(Speed is slightly wider) and a bit in the construction. How huge difference is in the performance? and what criteria should I use to choose the board? I am 165cm tall...