Note to New Members ×

New Protons and Camber

scrapster

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience with the newer 07-08 Oxygen Protons (the black and gold ones)? I was looking at a used one in almost pristine condition--but it has virtually no camber :confused: Is this its natural state, or do they lose their camber quickly?

(My Steepwater was made with no camber, and it was great! But I've had Nideckers that lost their camber early and turned into dogs when they did.)

Just trying to figure out which scenario I'm looking at.

You looked at Ruwi's board? It does have the camber...

When all these new Protons arrived, we compared them with few older ones. All the lengths of the new ones had less camber then the old ones. I didn't ride new/old back to back, so I wouldn't know the difference.

Logic tells me that if a board is designed with no or little camber it is fine like that. When it is designed with the camber and then lost most of it, it starts to suck, as one of the design components is missing, plus it probably means that the core, or even laminate, is "tired".

Thanks BlueB! That's the info I was looking for. Ruwi sent me some pics of the board and I was a little surprised at how low the camber was (especially given how nice the thing looks.) I tend to agree with you--if it was designed that way, it should be fine.

Did you have a chance to try out any of the new boards? I have good potential deals on both new and old versions--and new is always nice;)

Here' the camber of the board in question. Though its starting to sound like this is normal for this model year.

It has more camber than that picture shows. With the camera low down on the side of the board, the flash casts shadow way under the board and brightens/flattens the surface in front and closer under. Thus, the camber apeares smaller.

I have a 172 with about 20 days on it. With the weight of the bindings (old Catek world cup) pushing down on it, there is only about 1/4 inch of camber.

It rides great and has a lot of life.

Arneburner

I actually measured also mine last night and 1/4 " camber is what I measured as well. I didn't check it before and just compared it with my KR170C what a big difference.

Boris,

Thanks, I took the photo in a hurry after a sucky teaching night at Grouse around 1230 midnight. Was so in a hurry to mail the photo and go to bed.

Dude, you gonna meet me on Sunday?? by the time yer done you wont care what board yer on. :biggthump

Just keep a head on a swivel and before turning uphill, check for Straightliner Ski race Coaches ;0

* back-boards are no fun

:eplus2:

I saw that guy this past week, he recovered OK. had reconstructive surgery, and is still a skier... but was much more respectfull in giving space and distance of the "carvers" downhill from him this time last weekend. :biggthump