Note to New Members ×

Sword Setup

jcaple

Hi,

Looking for some advice on my Sword setup.

I'm 6'3 and around 220

Firstly, the folks over at Extreme Craving suggest the following

Stance width 52 from middle

Front angle 53

Back angle 46.5

Been riding that exact setup for two days and I'm really struggling, just feels wrong, and being ejected out of turns, backside turns just skid, I have no doubt that my technique could be better as this is only my second season......

So anyone else out there riding a Sword, can you post the setup you ride

Appreciate your feedback,

Justin

Hello Jcaple

I don’t have any specific set up advise, just a bit of insight on the long and sometimes frustrating journey required to find the ‘sweet’ spot with regards to stance width, stance angles, forward lean on your BTS, system, how tight you set your toe bails, what tongues are used (hard or soft) in your boots, is the flexibility of your boots affected by the cold, the amount of splay between front and back foot, the bias or distance your heel and toe are from the boards’ edge … etc, etc, etc!!!

I wish it was as simple as soft boots where you slap the bindings on the board and go, OK maybe that is not that easy, but it is way easier than setting up and Apline board. Oh, it doesn’t matter whether you EC, race carve, what ever, the process is a process that takes A LOT of time and effort! But it is worth the effort once you find your personal set up that makes the board feel like it is an extension of your body.

Change one variable at a time and experiment. It is AMAZING how a cm here and a degree there and a softer spring there can make such a huge difference! Enjoy the experimenting, the harder the journey the more satisfying the rewards.

Cheers

Rob

Justin,

The pb you are noticing are mostly due to one thing: lack of rotation during the turns. Try to read carefully the how to methods on the website.

Boots, bindings, stance set up do have their importance, but not as much as rotation which is number one thing to pick up:

- initiate the turn with upper body ( shoulders )

- try to avoid using arms ( try to imagine them velcroed to the legs)

- "lock" torso to lower body ( in order to avoid counter rotations and to transfer shoulder moves to board)

- practice at lower speeds on skidded turns ( see the simple vids of the first steps..), avoid going downhill which will make you gain too much speed: see on the vids as riders are going uphill to control speed, keep it constant whatever the steepness is

- ride on two feet ( as pokkis said) instead of front leg to back leg balance such as other technique usually do..

Its really a mental thing: once you got it, you'll know where to progress.

Good luck :), it took me 2 seasons to understand the " no arm flapping" part :)

Nils