Note to New Members ×

New season, new camera, new photographer

Corey

I'm a total rookie with a camera but I've always been interested in it. This year I took the plunge and got a Nikon D3000 to play with. Here are some shots of a really crappy opening day near the geographic center of North America. (a.k.a. the flat prairies of Walhalla, ND) Rough day as the one run that was groomed was as hard as cement and very uneven. The powder elsewhere was about 6" deep over grass/rocks. I won't go back again for another couple of weeks to let them built up more snow. But it was still kind of fun to get back on the board.

Fluffy pillows on the lodge railing.

jkehqq.jpg

The lodge at around 11 AM:

25zqbh2.jpg

Look, there's still some powder! Too bad it's too flat to get any reasonable speed up... ;)

3446ucm.jpg

Neither the main nor this smaller lift were running. County-wide power issues was the excuse we heard. Some guys built a little kicker and were hiking.

On the right side you can also see why there isn't much tree skiing in Manitoba or North Dakota. The undergrowth is pretty dense here.

A lonely chair, waiting for people:

nd7jus.jpg

The tower for this small lift:

2rca5hc.jpg

It struck me as kind of artsy with the ice and snow on it.

Goggles speckled by the snowmaking machines blasting you on the ride up:

2isyxip.jpg

Comments/suggestions are welcome. I shrunk the pictures down with a freeware re-sizing program so they're a bit grainy. I need to start playing with Photoshop (or similar) now that I've got a decent camera. ;)