Note to New Members ×

is there any good carving in arizona?

scotts.Scheinman

I rode Snow Bowl a good bit in the 1990's. I remember it being pretty fun--a small area on a big mountain. The base lodge is already at about 10 or 11k ft with the summit at 12k. I could see the rim of the Grand Canyon from the top!

I wasn't on carving equipment back then, but I remember at least one nice, wide-open run that I was attempting to EC on.

It was worth the drive. The San Francisco Peaks are impressive. (And you can make the drive almost all the way back down to Phoenix without touching your gas pedal. :eplus2: Coasting at 7o mph for over an hour is a unique experience.)

I think there's another relatively big ski area on one of the Apache reservations to the east as well--Snowflake? Never went there though.

I think Snowbowl is on Forest Service land. The mountains there are sacred for the Hopi, but they're not on their res. Their mesas are further east, in the middle of the Navajo res. Snowbowl is where I road for a few years and Logjam is the wide run I remember. But it looks like Southern Belle would be nice for carving too.

The Apache-owned resort I was thinking of is: http://www.sunriseskipark.com/

The Apache-owned resort I was thinking of is: http://www.sunriseskipark.com/

Just a side comment: There's only two Apache-owned ski resorts I know of -- Ski Apache of Southern NM (Yes, my local mtn) and Sunrise of White Mtn (ironically, Ski Apache is on Sierra Blanca which translates to white mountain too).

Anyhoo, I'd like to ask if anyof you know of any other indian-owned ski resorts?