Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries 2009-10

BlueB

Roy, Glad to hear you are fine. Scary ha. I've been to Grouse twice on Alpine Board, 1st with George and Maya, with very poor visibility and since we are with Maya me and George took it easy. On the Chair just before download at the Peak, George told Maya she has to turn left, she did and cut me right through on the left, I fell down followed by George himself. Maya was laughing, "you told me to turn left so I turned":ices_ange. I was on my FP 167 rock board. 2nd time was alone last Saturday when it got too dry and below freezing temp and Grouse manage to operate most of their snow guns. It was bad, hard pack frozen layer underneath granular artificial snow, a recipe for disaster. I was on my old O2 KR70 and I can see people left and right down on the slopes. My last run at Expo, 1 rider being attended to in a stretcher. I also ended up tobogganing on my back, thanks to the armour, it was fun:lol:. I just couldn't get the edge to hold. It was so unpredictable. I have to leave by 2:00 PM as the runs are by then all messed up.

Hope we get more moisture soon.

Ruwi

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luka and me braved the whooping -16C at Cypress today. That's just about as cold as it gets around Vancouver... We were rewarded by empty hill, bluebird skies and "hard butter" snow!

Midway looked spotles and very few tracks, groomed full width. Rainbow looked decent, too. Tomorrow's gona be even colder, I expect total hero conditions. I hope I can make it. Might brake the big Kessler out!

Thx, I'm absolutely fine now. I'm more worried abt the straight Liner, well he learned his lesson...I hope.

For sure Friday and maybe this Wed if I can make it. Count BlueB in. Any one else?

Which version (wide) & length you gonna tested?:rolleyes: This week if groomed, these will be compared (year 2000??) Oxygen Proton-172, 2008 Oxygen Proton-172, 2009 Prior WCR Wide-173.

So if you are not in Cypress that day who was the RED Toque :confused:...seungminiGS?

Cheers

Roy

I've been busy with other things but one of my friend went up I believe. Going up to Grouse on Wed for test runs for alpine and private lessons. I will try to go to Cy. soon but not sure yet tho. Hopefully, I get extra time for riding with you guys. I saw a carver @ Grouse last Wed nite. I was teaching some friends on that day. Anyway, hope to c u guys up there soon.

cheers!

Seungmin

Went up to Grouse this afternoon at 1600 and stayed until 2000.

Knowing that the temps would be cold and that the snow would be bulletproof, I took my Titanal Oxygen Proton and made sure that the edges were razor sharp.

Since they have opened up the Cut, 90% of the keeners and beginning skiers and snowboarders stayed on its slopes, allowing me to have the Peak and Olympic chair pretty much to myself, with maybe 2 or 3 GS type skiers.

It was soooo fast, like "your-hair-on-fire", hold onto your carves for dear life fast, East coast ice better have your carves and weight transfers dialled fast...

The lifties at the bottom of the Olympic chair told me that at first they thought I was a skier because my turns had some big radius arcs on them.

After 24 runs my legs were screaming for mercy and I packed it in before I let myself get into trouble.

A supposed teaching day turned into a play day. Can't complain about that, grooming was great on Midway! Very hard pack, but not frozen. Light snow right through the day. Little bit of ice showing through in the afternoon, from the side scraping crowds. Not to crazy crowd, though, for Sunday.

Toys: Kessler BX 168 and Steep 164.

On Kes, I dropped the rear angle all the way to 25, while keeping the front at 50. Still works good for carving, with occassional boot-out. However, way better for "slarving" and fooling.

The Steep, I had set for teaching, at 30/15. It carved surprisingly well with those low angles (hardboots), even the heal side.

Still trying to make the Suzukas work. I added a lot of padding to stop the front heel lift. Still some, but getting there... I like the softness of those boots for the low angles and playfull riding, but miss the support, edgehold and response of my Dalbellos. At few ocassions, I stayed on the front foot late in the carve and the boot kinda folded on me. On the 2nd one it actually hurt a bit (overloaded ankle), but nothing serious. I'm not sure if I would dare to haul-ass GS style on steeper stuff in Suzukas.

Few more instructors are willing to try alpine...

My supervisor turns a blind eye when I show for the lessons in hard boots...

Things are looking good.

Another guy that I know from the hill and from my sailing club rode a bit with me. He's got 3800 setup with Flow bindings and he uses AT/mounteneering type of boot!? Apparently he tried plates and liked them, before, but busted them (a plastic-fantastic model). We'll get him back onto the dark side easilly. He's son is a young little daredevil, I've been trying to talk him into plates for over a year now... Maybe when he sees his dad tearing it up...

Damn, rain...

What lookad as a heavy pow day on the outlook, turned into miserable rainy day. 4C at the hill. I didn't even bother going...

More rain tomorrow, then few cold, sunny, but dry days, following. First small snowfall is possible after Cristmas.

Went up at about 11AM. BlueB went earlier and doing his warming up on ski.

This time 2 decks

2008 OXYGEN PROTON-172 Waist 19cm. Scr 14.2m

2009 PRIOR Metal WCR Wide-173 Waist 21cm. Scr 12m

Bindings TD2+TD3 2nd BOARD KIT+Suspension on both decks, Angle F55/R50. Hard pack, shaved granules a few cm on the surface and pebbles and some loose golf balls rocks around off chair. A couple warming up lap on Midway and follow BlueB & the gang to Collins but right away I got scared surrounded by meat gates sitting/ hangin around doing nothin:angryfire in the middle of the run. Tried 1 run on Rainbow and decided not to go back due large spread pebbles & rocks...Stay at Midway the best condition till 3PM.

O2 Proton-172, great board, nice edge hold, softer (compare older Proton-172) and an easy board to play, stay same board till 1PM

PRIOR WCR Metal-173, awesome board, deck seems glued ON THE EDGE while slice thru ice, I was so much in control. Deck was so easy to predict. Next will try on pow and choppy.

BlueB switch to snowboard at about noon.

2008 KESSLER KST-185 By 2 PM, decided to switch decks w/ BlueB, Another awesome board, will be on next WISH list.

Cheers

Roy

8 Days = 29.5 hrs

Few additions to Scooby's report of 23rd...

His WCRM 173 wide is an awsome board, indead! It is considerably stiffer then my metal top 173 of normal width. However, it is still super easy to ride, plus I could get some really nice airborne transitions! I really enjoyed the board, it probably could ba another quiver-killer, or aggressive replacement for 4WD.

I finally got a decent tune to previously ruined edges of my 173, it stuck to the icy stuff pretty good.

Big Kessler got the first ride this year. So stable! Biggest challange was to not rush the turns, stepping on it from 11m scr board. I have to plan a Whistler or Baker trip asap, to let this awsome board spread it's wings.

I have to plan a Whistler or Baker trip asap, to let this awesome board spread it's wings.

I was looking at the forecast for the next couple of days, it should be epic hero snow with bluebird skies so if anyone's interested in going to Whistler tomorrow (26th) or Sunday (27th) I'm in. Bring a long board.

The catch is I don't have a car / truck, so I'll need a pickup in New West / Queen's park.

EDIT: BTW do any of you guys have 4 extra t-nuts and screws for the toes of my UPZ's?

later,

Dave R.

Hey Guys,

I am in the Vancouver area until the 29th. I am riding at Baker on Monday, but was hoping to meet up with some of you guys at the local mountains... Grouse, Cypress, or Seymour.

Do any of you plan on being at one of these mountains?

I have my original V0 Sidecarve prototype with me if anyone would like to try it.

-Chad

I was looking at the forecast for the next couple of days, it should be epic hero snow with bluebird skies so if anyone's interested in going to Whistler tomorrow (26th) or Sunday (27th) I'm in. Bring a long board.

later,

Dave R.

Sorry, only for local mountain for now, still stucked with my books fro Jan'10 coming up. Others...

Cheers

Roy

Hey Guys,

I am in the Vancouver area until the 29th. I am riding at Baker on Monday, but was hoping to meet up with some of you guys at the local mountains... Grouse, Cypress, or Seymour.

Do any of you plan on being at one of these mountains?

I have my original V0 Sidecarve prototype with me if anyone would like to try it.

-Chad

YVR-Carvers: Ola Boys, Boris & me & Chad (CODA) will be up on the mountain. Will reach parking lot around 9AM. New toy to play.:biggthump

sb_v0_straight_XL.jpg

Anyone, hope to see u guys on Cypress.

Cheers

Roy

So I ended up checking out the website for Cypress.... looks nice...

Just wondering how the Olympics being there are going to effect you guys? I imagine things are going to be pretty crazy around Vancouver for awhile.

As an instructor for many years, we always laugh about how the Olympic years seems to create a lot more skiiers who THINK they know how to ski fast. UGH!!!!!

Just wondering how the Olympics being there are going to effect you guys?

Total shut down of Cypress in February and 1st week of March :(

We would have to hit Grouse, with the rest of our renegade buddies who bought Grouse passes this season. We are also planning few trips to Mt Baker...

Roy and Boris!

Thanks again for great day of riding. Here is the short video I put together.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAOqRVBphE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAOqRVBphE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Very cold night resulted in frozen cord in the morning. Indespite of bluebird skies and warmth later, it stayed frozen for quite some time. Later it got suggerry layer from scraping in some places and real spring slush in the sunnier and steeper places. Collins got scraped to shear ice in lot of spots. Crowd was pretty big. We rode Midway for the most of the time.

I had quite a bit of teaching to do. All nice lessons, step or 2 beyond begginers.

Toys for the day:

Roy: Proton 172, Prior WCRM 173W

Boris: Elan Ballistic 171 (carving), Steepwater 164 (teaching/playing)

That Ballistic is definitelly a nice board, good edge hold, livelly, on stiffer side, plenty of rebound. You can not get too lazy on it or screw up the weight distribution, though. It likes a tiny bit of tail riding, which I figoured out later in the day.

Roy's clips:

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abI3Yl8-N48&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abI3Yl8-N48&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="480"></embed></object>

:biggthump

Congrat Bud.

To my file: 5 fellows YVR-Carvers have these MONSTERS:eek: on local hills, maybe sud make plan to Whistler to release these monster once awhile..

Cheers

Roy:cool:

Who else Roy?

I am really looking forward to putting it through its paces on the Dave Murray downhill course next month- I also have a trip to Sun Peaks at the end of January so I can rail it again there.

Somehow I have a feeling that the powers that be on Grouse might have a coronary if I railed this new Coiler on the Cut..:ices_ange

Geo

Who else Roy?

I am really looking forward to putting it through its paces on the Dave Murray downhill course next month- I also have a trip to Sun Peaks at the end of January so I can rail it again there.

Somehow I have a feeling that the powers that be on Grouse might have a coronary if I railed this new Coiler on the Cut..:ices_ange

Geo

Here's my list of 180 up:

1. Blueb

2. crucible

3. mr_roboteye

4. tenorman

5. CarvingScooby

FYI: Manage making 3-4 turn of Blueb KST185:rolleyes: on Midway before hit the crowd bottom Collins. U've rode Midway before so I guess with your pro skills on the Cut => NO PROBLEMO, we always can go at 4AM, I know tenorman wud.

Wow!? End of Jan? Wud they let u pass the Sea to Sky Hwy with no security pass:confused: Otherwise let's make plan, I'm sure mr_roboteye will join..

Cheers

Roy

I will have a vehicle access permit pass (VAPP) issued by VANOC for the Olympics because of work- although I will have to share it with other colleagues from my department.

I was thinking of going up to try the Coiler Pure Race around the 3rd week in January...

I really like the idea of doing a midnight run of long race boards during Grouse's 24/7 hours at the Olympics- I'm sure we could scrounge up enough boards and riders to get a lot of rippers out.