Note to New Members ×

Painting helmets?

Corey

I just bought a Boeri BX helmet off eBay. The price was right, the fit is better than I could have hoped, and there are no signs of even the slightest impact on the outer shell or the foam lining.

I don't like the paint scheme and would like to re-paint it, probably just gloss black. Is there any specific paint I should buy, or is painting just a bad idea in general?

It is very light. UPS listed the shipping weight as 3 lbs.; that includes the helmet, helmet bag, an 18" cubic box, and a bunch of misc. packing material. I'm quite impressed with it so far, but I haven't ridden with it yet.

A wild guess says that it's between 1 and 1.5 lbs. There's a little bit of info on the www.boeri.com website. It's on the bottom right side of the page.

My old Spy Scoop goggles don't fit with it, but I haven't found a helmet yet that they fit with. Time for new googles too...

Oh, I should add: I'm not worried about the craftsmanship or skill needed to properly paint something. I'm going to stick with a simple design, and maybe just re-paint it all one color if I don't like the end results.

I'm mostly worried about the solvents in a specific kind of paint attacking/dissolving/softening the shell.

Guest Randy S.

Go to Bay Area Riders Forum and post this question. Its a motorcycle forum, but has boatloads of people. Within an hour you will have detailed instructions on how to do it, what paint to use, how to prep, etc. etc. You'll also get about 12 recommendations on different shops that can do a custom paint job for you if you elect to go that route.

I do remember someone talking about getting high-end markers from an art store and doing a "paint" job that way on a helmet. Then he just got some basic clear coat and clear-coated the thing. Good luck and have fun.