Note to New Members ×

Seattle - Looking for Help with Board Adjustment

Shreddin_Sanchez

I live in Seattle (Montlake) and have some Deelux hard boots with TD2 step-in bindings and an Oxygen Proton board. I am desperately in need of some help in getting the board setup properly (binding placement, angles, width, stance, etc.). I've tried to do it myself using the instructions in Carvers Almanac, but things still don't feel right. I am an experienced snowboarder, but somewhat new to the carving world. Any one out there who can offer assistance? Happy to trade some good beer or other comestibles for some help.

Thanks,

Bruce

Sanchez, the weird set up feeling on the carpet can be over-exaggerated when you are standing still. The snow is slowly accumulating, be patient, and when the mountains open some of the folks here will be happy to get you set up. Good place to start (and there are 2450 opinions on this site alone) set up you angles so the heel/toe of the boots/bails are just over the edge of the board with minimal overhang. Set the base plates up in a neutral/centered position in the hole patterns, not too forward/aft. Cant/lift can be a bit trickier but most guys go with whats comfortable if you have cant plates. Start with that, see how it feels and what the board does and go from there. Oh, go to a snowperformance camp too. Money well spent. See you on the hill.

the one post is good. go with the binding angles steep enough to get no overhang from the bindings or boot. click yur boot in to the binding when checking over hang and imagine leaning the board into the snow(mimic the carve). boot overhang is no fun. you catch that thing in a carve and there you go, on yur butt!

another thing I do when setting up the boots to the bindings is try to center the boot in relation to the center of the board. (might be hard to understand,sorry) mount the boot into binding. take a look at the center of the boot where you're leg would be coming out. I try to center the boot with regards to adjusting binding so the leg ends up being as close center as possible. I'm just eying the equipment from the nose or tail. this might seem strange but it works for me. also good idea with centering on the inserts.

first of all is stance width: wider is better! 19 1/2 inches (center of binding to center) is a good number or there abouts. It might feel wierd but try to stay wide. If you have the ability to put toe and heel lift in, do it. It will help make the stance more comfy. I would stay away form canting (personally). try a little toe/heel lift, then see if you can get away with more stance width. even short people can ride a wide stance, they just tend to dial in some more toe/heel lift (not eveyone). I love the nice wide stance, works great for everyone:). so, stance width, binding angle, heel/toe lift, then center everyting as best as you can. hope my mouthful was helpful:barf:!!

I forgot about centering the boot, I mark the center on the sole if it is not done already and center the over the plate. im 6'2" and go with 19.5 stance width. Probably a good place to start c to c on the base plate. I dont put alot of stock in carpet feel, as soon as you add flex, momentum/g's, angulation and the like it will feel more natural compared to a softie stance.

Sanchez, I can help you out too. I ride Stevens, I'm hoping to get up there every weekend and quite a few Wednesdays too. Maybe on a weekend before the snow falls, but my weekends are pretty booked right now.

A couple tips in the meantime:

I've heard that if you multiply your inseam measurement by .6 you get a pretty good starting point for stance width. That also agrees with my inseam and stance width, so I like that guideline. :)

Angles on Trench Diggers are very easy to adjust on the hill, you just need the right hex key. I usually carry one just in case. Stance width only takes a couple minutes with the same hex key.

What kind of trouble are you having with the setups you've tried so far?